Robin Hood 2B Weight And Power

Guest Alimcc

Guest Gargoil

Don't rely on an MOT. Much better, if you don't have much in the way of mechanical knowledge is to get someone who has.

You can get it done reasonably cheaply these days, have a search on the Web for mobile mechanics etc. Better still is one of the guys on here who might do it for a cuppa and a dunkin biscuit.

As said earlier, these cars are not like your/our tin tops. They are like cats, fast, agile, like to be pampered but will bite without provication.

It's part of the charm. Be prepared for the looks you get and the extra people that will want to have a chat/photo wherever you stop.

Once bitten.......

Guest 2b cruising

But apparently not MX5s......... :)

Didn't know mx5s were classed as a car Bob.

Now you started it.

I didn't mention cos I felt,sorry for you all and felt like being nice for a change.

when I get my first robin hood (hopefully tomorrow) I would love to learn about the engine, drive train suspension etc for maintenance and upgrade fun. I would find it really interesting. my mechanical knowledge at this point is pretty much non existant but I'm keen to learn. do any of the RH clubs have workshops/open days etc that are focused on this type of thing? I reckon I could use some help!!!

• 2 weeks later...

1080kg is likely to be the maximum gross design weight, not what the car actually weighed on the scales, and is an 'invented' figure. The car must weigh less than this figure with two passengers and two lots of luggage.

i.e. actual kerb weight + 136kg (2x68) + 14kg (2x7) < max gross design weight

Nigel

Passenger and luggage figures are specified in the manual.

Edited by Longboarder

• 1 year later...

Hi. Whilst browsing I came across this old post and thought some owners might find the following interesting. All figures are approx.

Using Megadodo's data then I will assume a 2B with 2L Pinto weighs 750 Kgs.

Standard Pinto gives 105 BHP.

My 2L Pinto has been lightly tuned by Vulcan Eng. with Gas Flowed Head, Kent Cam, 4 Branch Manifold with Caterham Silencer, 4 Honda Fireblade carbs and gave a Dyno figure of 134 BHP.

Subaru Impreza 2L Turbo weighs 1240 Kgs and gives 218 BHP (My favourite car).

POWER TO WEIGHT FIGURES:

Standard 2L Pinto 105/0.75 = 140 BHP/Tonne.

My 2L Pinto 134/0.75 = 178 BHP/Tonne

Subaru 2L Turbo 218/1.25 = 176 BHP/Tonne.

Even the Standard Pinto figures are pretty impressive.

Now the Subaru has 4 wheel drive and the Turbo and a 0 - 60 time of 5.8 Secs. I know just by feel that my 2B will not approach that figure (I have had 3 Subaru Turbos). However, the Pinto feels to have much better mid-range torque. So, under normal driving conditions, on the move, on B roads with some traffic I reckon it would hold it's own. I know that, when overtaking, if I drop a cog, I am impressed with the acceleration and short time it takes to overtake something.

I'm quite happy for anyone to rip apart the above figures or statements. Also, like Alimcc, I would be interested if somebody has tried some 0 - 60 times. I am not a good enough driver to get a true indicative figure.

Cheers. Mick.

Years ago, back in the 90's, RHOCaR had a 0-60 timer that we tried out at Curborough. Not sure how accurate it was. We did a run in an Exmo with an under-performing 2.1 Pinto on a 4-speed gearbox and from memory we were somewhere between 6 and 7 seconds... the higher end, I suspect. So it certainly sounds about right. Obvious gear ratios can play a serious part in pure 0-60 times that are completely irrelevant when you're out there on the road driving in real-world conditions...

I've got an app on my phone which measures 0-60 times just using the phone's GPS, so no idea how accurate it is.

I'm not a great driver either and I am too scared to just drop the clutch on the start line on my own car but on a slightly damp road, I got 7.2 seconds from my Zetec with basic plenum.

I spun the wheels for a while and the biggest problem, as Brumster says, is the 1st to 2nd change which isn't the quickest, to say the least. With practice, a drier road and a crash diet for me ^_^ , I'd hope to get it down around 6 seconds.

I watched an interesting YouTube video of a Caterham 620R against a Tesla - here ya go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whbgu08QWdw

• Like 1