Steering Rack In Need Of Replacement?

alanh65

At my last MOT, the tester stated that there was a bit of wear when applying lock to the steering and suggested that there may well be wear in the steering rack making it 'notchy'.

There is an advisory stating:

Steering system slightly rough (2.2.D.1)

My 'Hoodie' is a Robin Hood series III, built in 1997 from a 1987 Sierra saloon.

As the car is now a magnificent age of 20 (steering, probably 30!) should I just replace the steering rack with new?

I appear to be looking at a replacement cost of about £135 ... if I go with eBay replacement parts.

What advice can you offer please?

The rack that I have on my series 3 was the original sierra one, I fitted a quick rack internals from Rally design to mine, so this might be the way to go. The rack is adjustable if there is wear, in fact if you do swap the internals, you'll need to adjust it it to get the correct "feel" without play or "notching"

To remove / replace the internals, once the rack has been removed from the car, remove the track rods from the shaft. In the back of the rack, in line with the pinion, there is the adjuster that pushes the shaft onto the pinion, so you can either try adjusting this to remove any play (if you're not going to fit new internals) or remove it altogether for now. Next you'll need to remove the pinion shaft, This is held in with a screwed 'collar' that you'll need to make a special spanner for. ( I found a piece of pipe the correct dia, filed it so that there were 'dogs' to fit into the slots in this collar, then welded that you an old spanner. Fit the new internals from Rally Design, grease it all up, adjust the "push on the shaft" and you have a reconditioned quick rack. It does make one heck of a difference.

https://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=7326 = Parts are £69.50.

post-51-0-97364200-1512510544_thumb.jpg

Edited by Big Jim
  • Like 1

Check the column universal joints first as one of mine showed up as a notchiness and was worn. I had my rack stripped, checked and reset by Jay Gee over at Bilston 01902 404258 - didn't charge that much. He also said if I got him the quick rack parts he would fit them at the same time but he was concerned that the steering would be too heavy at parking speeds as no power steering and my tyres are quite wide at 205/40 x 17 so I never did it but sometimes wish I had!

• Like 1

One option, depending on your setup, is to drop the steering shaft off (undo the UJ clamp) in the engine bay. Now you can test the steering column and bulkhead bush, which should obviously feel smooth and free-turning, separate to the rack itself, so you should be able to at least narrow down where you're looking.

• Like 1