Collecting My Rh2B This Week...but..

Guest cpbrad

what type of front suspension does it have? There were 2 main options. The standard one had 'sliding' pillar system which has 2 fixed arms and the hub moves up and down on a rod. It works but it isn't the best system and has a fair few issues to get it working right.

There was an option for double wishbone setup which is much better than the sliding pillar, although this too still has a few issues.

Some people cut off the sliding pillar arms and put bespoke double wishbone system on.

This is likely to affect both the price and the ease of getting it through the iva test.

Also is it stainless body?

Is it stainless chassis?

Does it have a stainess exhuast system

What carbs is it running?

these will all affect the price.

The plan is to go and take another look with my old man and make a decision. Im going to look up some info on the test and also pay the centre that does the test a visit as its very local to me, see if I can speak to someone who does them.

If i do decide to go ahead with the purchase and it did fail, I could just use it as a track toy I guess/break it for parts and possibly not loose any money..

Quick question:

If i book the car in and it fails on two points, they tell me what the points are, I rectify them, surely it it cannot then fail on something else, I would have thought they only re tested the items that failed?

He tells me he has gone over the car with a fine tooth comb and that he honestly believes it will go straight through!

Call me Mr Cynical but - duh!! He's trying to sell, he'll tell you he thinks he'll win the British Grand Prix in it if he thinks you'll buy... :)

Ignore what he 'thinks' - means nothing...

Re: the re-test, mine failed and they only checked the failures during the re-test but, as Bob, said, someone (brumster?) had an extra fail picked up on a re-test.

Edited by nelmo
  • Like 2

I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing that they can find more fail points. I know it is a bit of a pain for the builder but ultimately you'd want the car as safe as possible, although you would really expect them to pick up all the points of failure. I guess if you had an mot and it failed and you took it away and fixed something but the exhaust dropped off on the way back they would still fail it.

Ideally take a van full of extra bits and pieces. If it's a small failure point they will normally let you fix it while they are looking at other bits.

personally if i was going to put a car through iva again i'd want to have built it myself so i know every inch of the car. For example my car failed (SVA) on not having crush tubes in the rear suspension top mounts. I had to weld tubes inside to stop the bolts crushing the tube when fully tightened. I had to photograph it so they could see it was done. Unless the builder was really good at photographing all those bits then you'd be ok otherwise you might find they ask how something is fixed in and you won't know.

In principle you are right, the re-test covers only the previous failed points. If you wanted to be picky, you would be in your right to refute any additional items/appeal. For me, it was such a minor point he picked up on in the re-test that it was as long to argue about it as it was to fix it, so I couldn't be bothered to get all "medieval" about it :)

With the IVA, I think there is a fair bit of 'flexibility' between one test station and another. I get the impression that each tester has his own areas of focus... maybe one will pull you up on certain areas more than a tester at another site would; maybe one is more flexible/agreeable about (for example) giving you an extra run or two on the emissions machine to give you time to adjust the fuelling for emissions... let's face it, in reality, no-one outside of the test centre (or a garage owner) is going to accurately be able to do certain things like set the headlight alignment, speedo calibration or emissions fuelling. Worst case :

IVA test £450

Retest £90 (worth budgeting one)

Registration £55

Initial road tax probably £235

...plus any transport costs/time off work to get there, of course

what type of front suspension does it have? There were 2 main options. The standard one had 'sliding' pillar system which has 2 fixed arms and the hub moves up and down on a rod. It works but it isn't the best system and has a fair few issues to get it working right.

There was an option for double wishbone setup which is much better than the sliding pillar, although this too still has a few issues.

Some people cut off the sliding pillar arms and put bespoke double wishbone system on. From memory I could not see the springs or shocks externally if thats any help.. Im going back on friday so I will find out as much info as possible and look through all the paperwork carefully. I know the front suspension and all bushes are new.

This is likely to affect both the price and the ease of getting it through the iva test.

Also is it stainless body? Yes

Is it stainless chassis? Yes

Does it have a stainess exhuast system Yes and custom built manifold

What carbs is it running? Twin webbers, not sure of the exact model

these will all affect the price.

Is there any typical issues I should look for on Friday?

Ihave found this which looks very helpful..

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/individual-vehicle-approval-iva-for-cars-help-to-get-a-pass/individual-vehicle-approval-iva-for-cars-help-to-get-a-pass

Edited by cpbrad

No photos unfortunately, from memory and looking at the guide Id say it was an S7 mk1, 2 or 3. I have asked the guy but he isn't sure. Something else ill look for on Friday I guess.

He has lowered the price to £2750.

Im going to go along with my dad as he is a lot more mechanically minded than myself and in the meantime read through these IVA notes.

Again I really appreciate everyones advice. It looks like more of you think I should leave it but i think its worth paying a visit with my dad and having a detailed look at all the paperwork before giving him my final answer as its not far from where I live.

If it is an S7, unregistered it is worth very little. There are also modifications required to bring them up to spec to pass an IVA, it can be done and its nothing difficult, but it needs doing and likely wont have been done if it wasnt presented for IVA.

If it is an S7, unregistered it is worth very little. There are also modifications required to bring them up to spec to pass an IVA, it can be done and its nothing difficult, but it needs doing and likely wont have been done if it wasnt presented for IVA.

What is it thats required?

P.S. I will be a paying member when i do finally get one.... IF! :angel:

Guest lotusPaul

If it is an S7 heres my opinion. I got mine in 1994 from the factory as a 17year old with minimal skills but a massive will to learn. As soon as I started putting the chassis together i realised to my horror that it wasnt straight. So that meant that no matter what i planned the front and rear wheels would never be true running. Look at the front suspension, as it used a portion of the doner subframe bolted to an extension of the chassis,it meant that you could move it left or right of center to help the alignment.

Not what you want i can assure you.

I spoke to the very kind person that sold me the kit at the next stoneleigh to be told "well boy, what do you expect from a cheap kit, you must expect to do some work your self" or words to that effect.

Anyway, years latter i still have that unfinished project and now an degree in mech engineering.

Sorry for the waffle, but after building several cobras, gt40s, westies and rushes, i can honestly say a trip with you wallet would be better spent at your local bookies putting the contents on odds for Pompey to win the FA cup, (id be happy man at those odds)

Please dont waste your time,there are better hoods out there.

Just my opinion based on a bad purchase perhaps, and i appologize to s7 owners that enjoy thier cars, but im afraid i wouldnt walk away,id run.