Brake Questions

Guest johnboymac

Guest johnboymac

any ideas as to the size\length and type(model of car normally used on) of flexi hoses for front brakes for a subk (probably same for 2b.

also where can I get a few locknuts to hold the brake hoses in place?

having difficulty getting either at the moment

cheers, John

Hi John,

I phoned RH and bought some, they were £10 for the pair.

I drilled holes in the infill pannel for the hose to go throudh and welded some brackets down to the chassis to hold it stiff.

I bought some brake pipe connectors and cut them up so could clamp the brake pipe into the bracket.

Guest johnboymac

thanks guy,

RH was my next port of call, since the local motor factor gave me a sob story that it would take ages looking through catalogues to find anything suitable. (I had been in another branch of the same factors the other day and know that they use a computerised system that searches on end type, size and type of hose - so I think he was exagerating a little....) - can you remember the number you used for RH?

I have a couple of spare end pieces, but was not sure that grinding\ cutting to size was feasible - will give it a try though.

Not being up to speed on my welding skills, I rivetted brackets to the chasis, but otherwise, I seem to be heading in much the same direction here.

cheers, John

Guest TerryBarry

The threads on the flexible brake pipes are M10 x 1.0mm pitch.

I have a decent nut & bolt shop locally and bought some "half nuts" - OK on the longer threaded ends.

The front ones seem to be OK since the shorter end screws into the caliper and the longer one through the body panel and SVA recommended stiffening bracket.

For the rear flexibles, as supplied by RHE (like many other things they are close but not quite right) they will not fit to a bracket and have sufficient thread remaining to allow a lock nut and the rigid pipe end fitting. I got round this by making up brackets from 2mm mild steel and tapping a hole M10 x 1.0mm pitch. These are fitted to the chassis and the longer end through the bracket on the trailing arm secured with a half nut.

HTH

Terry

Guest piddy

Hi.

I brought the stainless braided brake lines recently from Rally design.

Just told them I wanted them to fit a Sierra they came the correct size to fit the Sierra calipers ect.

They cost £30 for the set of four.

Piddy.

Guest paul mercer

if you haven't already ordered your brake lines from rh, i've got a set of theirs i didn't use with my kit. I decided to go for the braided ones. the rh ones don't look all that good.

May be too late now, but I had stainless braided front flexi hoses made up for me by BGC motorsport. I specified the length from fitting to fitting, and said they needed "Ford Sierra end fittings". They cost just under 30 quid for the pair, all in, and they arrived the next day.

Ant

Guest johnboymac

hi guys,

thanks for all the responses - been away for a long weekend so just catching up now. Im currently going the standard rubber hose to get the car finished, then I will look at upgrading brakes etc.

(Guy) - I took your advice and used a junior hacksaw on a couple of spare brake connectors that I had - problem solved.

(Paul) I would like to take you up on your offer - how much etc. - can you PM me please.

cheers, John

Guest Takumi

Hi.

I order some custom length Stainless over braided flexi brake hoses (4) . Mine came direct from EARLS. I had them with stainless steel fittings aswell ( cost a bomb ) they were made to order 1" longer than the stock sierra ones.

about £39 for the set.

They look fab and have no pipe swell, Ive primed my brake system and the brakes are rock solid .:)

Its not worth getting rubber hoses for calipers that are directly exposed to the environment, normally their hidden behind your front fender.

lookfor some good stainless braided hoses.

tak

p.s making your own pipes it quite easy to if you can get some of the connectors, there are lots of places that do stainless braided brake pipe.. ( the connector just clamps the hose with a small type ring inside the end thingy...