Dummy Strut Pinch Bolt Size

theduck

if you haven't got it already put an extra bolt through the side into the strut to retain it if the pinch bolt comes loose. On the mcpherson struts there is a tab with a hole that the pinch bolt goes through but there isn't anything like that on the dummy strut so if it comes loose it can (and has) slide out.

hth

Guest Ian & Carole

if you haven't got it already put an extra bolt through the side into the strut to retain it if the pinch bolt comes loose. On the mcpherson struts there is a tab with a hole that the pinch bolt goes through but there isn't anything like that on the dummy strut so if it comes loose it can (and has) slide out.

hth

I drilled 2 3mm holes through the hub and dummy strut and fitted 3mm roll pins to hold mine in place after the drivers side one did fall out, in a fuel station on the A1 after a "sprightly" run up to Smallways, frightened me to death to think what might have happened if it had have let go whilst driving.

Image021.jpg

Guest tom-zero

"Longer than tlhe original as IVA require a lock nut also.

M12 x 1.75. X 76mm long."

i take it this is the same on the zero ? so i will need to fit a longer bolt so i can get a nut on the end for iva at the moment im just using the standard sierra bolt which does not go through far enough to get a nut on the other side

"Longer than tlhe original as IVA require a lock nut also.

M12 x 1.75. X 76mm long."

i take it this is the same on the zero ? so i will need to fit a longer bolt so i can get a nut on the end for iva at the moment im just using the standard sierra bolt which does not go through far enough to get a nut on the other side

Correct Tom, that was the case at Nottingham Vosa anyway.

I also, as Ian pointed out above, fitted a roll pin through the dummy strut and carrier. This serves to stop the strut lifting out, as Ians did, but also shares the load of any rotational torque between the two parts with the 'pinch' of the bolt.

HTH,

Nick.

Mine went through Iva with the Ford bolt loctited and marked with white paint ( by Simon at GBS) but he would have preferred the lock nut method and I will be updating to this standard soon.

I presume two roll pins front and back of the hub carrier for safety or is it one right through?