S7 Cracks

Andy Spencer

I know there have been a lot of threads about the S7 chassis (particularly the Mk1) cracking at the rear of the engine bay, but it is difficult to explain where.

Once I got most of my engine out yesterday I could take a reasonable photo of mine which has just started cracking after 8000 miles from initial build.

I understand the best solution is to bolt some angle in underneath after having the cracks welded (probably tig welded?).

Mine's only done it on the nearside. You can see the gearbox and part of the starter motor in the top left corner of the photo.

So all you S7 owners, get those torches out and have a look!! You can see the crack from underneath as well.

Hope that helps a few people.

Andy

post-3-1134426385.jpg

Guest docter fox

I'll check it tomorrow :rolleyes:

where else have people found cracking? and what are the solutions you chose? I'd be happy to put together a brief description of them all with a few pictures for future reference...

Robinhood did send out pieces of angle to owners to fix this problem. The angle was 1.5" by 4" ish and bolted on top and back through bulk head, also owners were advised not to weld but drill a hole at the end of the crack to stop it spreading. I also supplimented with 1" angle longitudinally. Seemed to work fine.

Jez