Servicing A Vw Polo Diesel?!

agent_zed

Hi,

going to service the GFs polo (2006). Never really done much of diesel engines so what do i need to do

this is what i assume needs changing

oil filter, air filter, oil, pollen filter (eurocarparts lists it so assume it has one), oil flush.

do i need to change the diesel filter? or glow plugs?

i normally oil flush my car, is this the same for a diesel?

any advice appreciated

thanks

cool thanks will add fuel filter to the list. It starts on the button so won't bother with glow plugs for now.

eurocarparts lists this oil

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volkswagen_Polo+Hatch_1.4_2006/p/car-parts/car-service-parts/regular-service/engine-oil/?521772531&1&9f7c9a42183b469ae24a64e6c4b37a0fdba8731b&000398

is that correct?

anyone know a good site for checking what oil is needed?

You need to change the filters and oil

a flush won't do any harm esp if you don't know the history

also what size diesel is it the 1.4tdi or sdi

also cambelt is wise around the 45-60k mark

pm me if you need anymore help - ex VW tech

according to the reg check on parkers its the

Volkswagen Polo Hatchback (02-09) 1.4 S TDI (80ps) 5d

(no point asking the GF she won't know :) )

cambelt should have been done already but will check, think its on about 80k but no guarantee that it was done when it should have been.

thanks guys that's really useful. Should get me a few relatively easy (hopefully) brownie points ;)

The cambelt is very easy on that engine - well within a kitcar builders skills

marks on both pulleys and a hydraulic tensioner that winds down with a 6mm Allen key but be we just used to push it down with the handle of a hammer as it's easier to let it self tension again

Don't know if this affects the 1.4 diesel as i've only ever read up on the 1.9 tdi - but apparently VW do not recommend use of an engine flush. I'm not a mechanic or expert but i seem to remember reading that there are oil spray ways that cool the back of the pistons and if these block then engine damage can occur. Blockage can be caused by engine flush dislodging debris blocking the oil spray ways.

Perhaps someone on here knows more about this or can clarify which engines are affected.

Cheers

Andy

The use of engine flush is not recommended unless used from low mileage on either words don't buy a 60 thou miler and stick an engine flush in due to the above quote by 2b but if less than 20 thou then will be Ok

This is what I was taught as mechanic apprentice