Noxious Vw Golf

Bob Tucker

I have a 1.6 diesel Golf that has the cheat software installed.

VW have just written to me to say that the fix has now been designed and is ready for

installation. They also say the "independent testing authorities" have confirmed that

CO2 emissions, engine performance, maximum torque, noise and fuel consumption are not affected.

After lying about the cheat software for more than a year, should I trust them?

Does anyone have any direct experience of the fix yet?

I am inclined to ignore it, but is that likely to affect future MOTs?

Edited by Bob Tucker

thinking out loud but i guess that the software only detected when it was being checked and reduced all the settings to show a better result. When it drove normally the software just reverted to normal. so in theory they have just removed the cheating bit so the 'normal' setting will remain (so it won't drive differently) but under a test it will be slightly higher than with the cheat.

Don't know how an MOT would know if it had been done or not. I could retard my engine before the test and put it back after (indeed RH suggested this for SVA to get past noise issues)

But who knows what they have done :)

That software only kicked in when the car detected it was being tested (high engine revs but no steering movement, for example), so doubt it ever affected the car in normal driving anyway. If anything, it will make the car easier to get through an MOT :)

If everything seems OK, I wouldn't bother - the dealer will only take it as an excuse to find something else 'wrong' with your car which they can charge you for :glare:

EDIT: honestly, me and agent_zed weren't conferring :crazy:

Edited by nelmo
  • Like 1

Really don't get how you mean -might affect future resale !!!

This cheat only came in on very set test conditions -I very much doubt you have ever got the car into test conditions unless you some how manage to get the front wheels to turn at 56 mph at a third throttle without the back wheels moving for 36 mins with the front wheels set at a set angle and that's only part of it

get VW to remap - there only gonna turn off the activation of the test map!then forget all about it - in a couple of years time no one's even gonna remember it -let alone worry about the trade in value

no one remembers mitsubishi also go done

Guest 2B-EVO

Don't know much about how the 'cheat' software worked - however - if it reduced the emissions under test conditions presumably the revised software must now reduce emissions under normal driving conditions to deliver the original claimed emissions - My thoughts are that given the known problems with blocked/failed egr valves and DPF filters on modern diesel motors - that revising the software to deliver the same performance but increasing the effect of the emissions components to reduce the emissions may cause them to block/fail earlier. If your car drives fine now then i would politely decline the revised software.

Cheers Andy

Many thanks guys for the well meant advice, but I think Andy has hit the nail on the head.

The emissions are illegal without the cheat. They have to remove the cheat, but fit a

hardware component in the intake tract, and amend the software, so that the emissions

are legal at all times. My thoughts are that HP & torque may well be affected, so I am thinking

of getting a power run done at my friendly RR before & after.

In any case I will put off having it done (if ever) until many others have been replaced

ive had a C5 (citroen, not sinclair) , & a 320d BMW. remapped

they were both transformed, but just needed software changes.

This Golf engine needs th ECU hardware modified too, so i probably wont have it remapped.

But i am relieved that someone has had it done with no adverse impact.

Thanks guys.

Bob, I worked for VW/Audi for 7 years and like all large international brands they are very image conscious.

Their worldwide reputation was tarnished immensely over the emissions fiasco .

They would not issue the resolution unless it was 2000% with no effect to driveability, economy, etc etc.

If the resolution fails, then the damage to the brand name may well be irreversible.

If you are concerned about the resale value of your car with the modification, then to play devils advocate, what would the resale value be without the modification?

As others who have the modification completed have said, they have seen no effects, so if I were in your position I'd go for the modification.

You'd get a warranty on the parts/modifications fitted and possibly use of a free loan car (if you play your cards right) while yours is under repair.

Cheers guys.....that has set my mind at rest.

They have offered to do it while I wait, or give me a loan car after I drop mine off

or even collect it & deliver it back.

Resale value is not very important.

I love the car just as it is, & plan on keeping it until

I cant drive any more.....no comments please....

The old saying, 'If it ain't broke don't fix it!' comes to mind. It passes mot standard and It goes just fine. 'The EU says your car is broke but that's the EU being a nannying tooth sucking moronic mechanic whose ideal is to emulate Californian levels of emissions and gutless motors.

Nigel

Guest Gargoil

The old saying, 'If it ain't broke don't fix it!' comes to mind. It passes mot standard and It goes just fine. 'The EU says your car is broke but that's the EU being a nannying tooth sucking moronic mechanic whose ideal is to emulate Californian levels of emissions and gutless motors.

Nigel

Someone fell out of the bunk bed the wrong way and hit every branch of the Grumpy tree on the way down.......

:rofl:

Edited by Gargoil