Fuel Pump Relay On A Renault Laguna

agent_zed

Hi All,

my laguna won't start this morning. Turning over but not starting. Can't hear the fuel pump priming so thinking it is probably the relay. Anybody have any idea where it is? ive had a look at the ones on the fuse box and swapped a couple that were identical but no luck. There are some on the top as well but haven't got to them yet. Any ideas? Ive done a google searcg but no luck so far.

thanks

Have you checked the fuel cut off switch, usually found under the bonnet, that may have been "bounced" off? I think you can't hear the pump once the fuel is up to pressure or once the engine is running (or can you normally hear it?) and have you checked the fuse? On other renaults there are to or 3 fuse/relay locations and the pump relay is under the bonnet on my Scenic.

Thanks, i'll have a look for the cutoff switch and double check that. It was working on tuesday, although i remember it not starting first time when i went to leave from work. Then this morning i didn't hear the usual whirr of the fuel pump and it wouldn't start. It normally whirrs for a couple of seconds and then switches off when its up to pressure. I've checked the main fuse box but i'll have a look and see if there are any other suspects under the bonnet. Thanks.

ok gave the replays and wiring above the fuses a poke and she fired once. Wouldn't work again though so took all the relays out and gave them a tap, still nothing. Thought i'd check if i was getting a spark so put a strobe on and it flashed once and then nothing. tried again nothing.tried again 2 flashes tehn nothing. weird. Changed to a different plug on the other coil pack. no flashing but she fired up and ran a bit slow but running. Took the light off and it is now running again.

I hate this type of fault as i now have to drive to work tomorrow (17miles) not knowing if i get to come home :o

don't understand why the strobe wasn't flashing when the engine was running?! ah well at least its working again.

Guest dinger

I find this fault annoying too, and I'm an RAC patrol, sometimes fulling a lead off will make the car fire up and I've never found an explanation for it,

I take its an early laguna with the 8v ohc engine? if so the crankshaft position sensor can play up, sometimes will start and sometime wont, but once its started will normally stay running till you switch it off.

The sensor is ony about 20quid from euro car parts and is only held on with 2 11mm bolts onto the gearbox bellhousing, Although you should still get a fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition on. there is no pressure switch and will just return to the tank once at pressure.

IIRC the fuel pump fuse is down on the nearside inner wing behind the headlight, this is an area that prone to water and the terminals can get dirty, have a check there aswell.

hope you get it sorted

Dave