2b Plus Very Very Thirsty

Guest moose

I have recently bought a 2L pinto engined 2Bplus, great little motor but drinks like a fish. 25mpg at best. When I first bought it , it had a very unreliable idle, I suspected flooding carburetter and fitted a sytec fuel regulator (no return to the tank) it cured the idle but the economy is still bad, for something that may have the aerodynamics of a flying brick, but not much more windage than my m/cycle.it isn't good. It is fitted with a weber 2choke carb. Does anyone have a suggestion, I don't want to fit it with a diesel engine it wouldn't sound right.

Moose :

Guest bettinson2005

wow 25 mpg :o best i can get is 20 mpg 2ltr pinto twin choke webber with foot flat down :lol: no help but got to be good to know that someone is getting less mpg :good:

Guest woolly

if my wife is in the car the fuel consumption is very very good :huh: .

you may need a good tune up and a lighter foot the difference between a ride down the A roads and the motorway is quite a lot.

woolly

sounds like you have a weber 38dgas carb off a 3.0l v6 if all you are getting is 25mpg at best, you would be better off with 32/36 similar performance better idle better mpg etc or do as i have and go bike carb perfect idle and high 30's mpg on steady run ....and goes like poo off a stick when you boot it...

Dan

Guest Tim Norman

On a steady run up the motorway Bobson returns a healthy 35-40mpg. :wub: However, the minute he hits the bendy roads, that drops quite significantly! :wacko:

Might have something to do with the right foot and the odd "SKY!" moment.

Called "Sky" coz thats all the wife can see when I floor it! :lol:

if my wife is in the car the fuel consumption is very very good :huh: .

you may need a good tune up and a lighter foot the difference between a ride down the A roads and the motorway is quite a lot.

woolly

sounds like you have a weber 38dgas carb off a 3.0l v6 if all you are getting is 25mpg at best, you would be better off with 32/36 similar performance better idle better mpg etc or do as i have and go bike carb perfect idle and high 30's mpg on steady run ....and goes like poo off a stick when you boot it...

Dan

Thanks for the reply, I like the idea.

Are the bike carbs as per kit parts direct or as your notes suggest from a honda m/bike with the same name?

do you find fuel supply from a standard pump ok or does it need a PRV back to the tank.

Moose

my manifold is from them the carbs were not but are the same as they supply, fuel pump all you need is approx 2psi and no return to tank mine was efi so i had to change it to a facet silver top and filter king reg.

The main problem with this conversion is set up i paid a decent dyno guy near gbs to do it with out his input i,d never had got it right.

Don,t know where you are based but you are welcome to look at mine and hear / see it running.

All in if you do the conversion right it is fantastic but as you will read there are plenty who have tried and failed or not had as good results as mine "ITS ALL IN THE DYNO WORK AT THE END"

cost me the wrong end of £600 (with free carbs) but i did get a new ignition vernier pulley etc

Good luck

Dan

my manifold is from them the carbs were not but are the same as they supply, fuel pump all you need is approx 2psi and no return to tank mine was efi so i had to change it to a facet silver top and filter king reg.

The main problem with this conversion is set up i paid a decent dyno guy near gbs to do it with out his input i,d never had got it right.

Don,t know where you are based but you are welcome to look at mine and hear / see it running.

All in if you do the conversion right it is fantastic but as you will read there are plenty who have tried and failed or not had as good results as mine "ITS ALL IN THE DYNO WORK AT THE END"

cost me the wrong end of £600 (with free carbs) but i did get a new ignition vernier pulley etc

Good luck

Dan

I'm in the West Country so it would be difficcult to check it out on a Saturday morning. but thanks for the input.

Moose

Guest woolly

what part of the west country.

this thread made me work out the fuel and was surprised around 35+mpg thought it was a lot worse.

depends how you go about the bike carbs mine cost total around £160 in parts and could be done for less.

woolly

Guest craig030774

got my carbs from a cbr 600 manifold and filter from gbs carb joining hoses from ebay ( work better than silicone hoses as have a o ring inside ) drilled out jets to 1.75 and used standard mech pump with a tank return goes like stink on 2.0 pinto much smoother than 36/32

what part of the west country.

this thread made me work out the fuel and was surprised around 35+mpg thought it was a lot worse.

depends how you go about the bike carbs mine cost total around £160 in parts and could be done for less.

woolly

Hi I'm back

Sorry, I'm near Bridgwater (no-one admits to living IN Bridgwater) not Wild West. I like the notion of £160 was that parts from a breakers?

Guest woolly

manifold GBS £100 or £170 else where but looks a bit better, carbs ebay struck lucky good clean set for £45, you will need a choke cable and new throttle cable.

once fitted they can need a lot of setting up. you either pay possibly around £200 to £300 or you learn to DIY, but you will need access to a lambda set up. to be safe.

woolly