Iva Test Fail

Guest Larson250

Guest Larson250

Hi Everyone,

First of all thank you for all the messages of encouragement over the last couple of days.

As the title says, I failed the test.

I have since picked my bottom lip up off the floor and found some more motivation.

It failed on 8 points namely:-

1, Chassis number not in a single line

2, Sharp edges on a plate holding the gear stick gator down

3, Interior mirror not high enough to get correct field of vision and vibrating too much

4, Two bolts holding the master cylinder on did not protrude through the nylock nut enough

5, Headlights throw beam to the right as if left hand drive

6, Too loud (105Db) oops

7, Seat harness fixing point not high enough from the reference point (not 450mm above)

8, Seat harness fixing brackets too sharp (need padding or hiding)

The only major job is No.7, to rectify this I have got to extend and brace the tubes that the harness fittings go through behind the head rest. (Zero owners will know what I am on about)

The headlights, I have spoken to Richard at GBS he will swap them for the newer style lens.

I have to say that I'm scratching my head about how to pad/hide the harness brackets.

1,2 and 4 already done this afternoon.

Thats it for now.

Regards,

Dean

Guest qwerty_100
Hi Everyone,

First of all thank you for all the messages of encouragement over the last couple of days.

I have since picked my bottom lip up off the floor and found some more motivation.

3, Interior mirror not high enough to get correct field of vision and vibrating too much

4, Two bolts holding the master cylinder on did not protrude through the nylock nut enough

6, Too loud (105Db) oops

7, Seat harness fixing point not high enough from the reference point (not 450mm above)

The only major job is No.7, to rectify this I have got to extend and brace the tubes that the harness fittings go through behind the head rest. (Zero owners will know what I am on about)

The headlights, I have spoken to Richard at GBS he will swap them for the newer style lens.

I have to say that I'm scratching my head about how to pad/hide the harness brackets.

Thats it for now.

Regards,

Dean

Hi Dean

Well done that man the list dosn,t appear to be that bad ounce again well done . Kev

Guest boggybogstar

well done

not a bad list.

A number of us failed on LHD headlamps but easiliy fixed, however, with the seat harness fixing points it clearly shows an inconsistency across IVA centres considering the Zero's are passing in other parts of the country with the same set up.

I have a mate who has an MNR which also failed with this at Gillingham, he had to weld a brace accross the brackets to get it passed and has since met plenty of other MNR owners who have gone through the IVA with no problem in other test centres!!

Anyway - retest looks a dun deal -see you at next years shows !!!

Guest robinj66

For 7 is it possible to lower the seats (temporarily or otherwise) - I'm not sure if you have runners fitted but if you removed them it might make all the difference. Pics would help to advise in more detail.

Re 8 (again difficult without pics) but is it possible to either cover the offending articles with foam/vinyl?

I had a fail on nasty sharp edges (spot the sarcasm) on the fusebox so i had to bodge a cover over it. you will see from the pics thast it looked completely KAK but satisfied the tester. The cover was fixed with velcro and glu.

Guest andydav
Hi Everyone,

6, Too loud (105Db) oops

Thats it for now.

Regards,

Dean

Sorry to hear its a fail, i guess we all wish it will pass first time, but i have setlled to the fact that mine will fail, but at least you get a definative list to resolve and then you know the light is at the end of the tunnel.

Your list looks relatively small, you read some shocking tales on the forum about mega fail lists, the fact yours is so small i think gives detriment to the quality of your build and with everyones help and support i sure they will soon be resolved.

I have still not head from VOSA, so i chased them this week, they forwarded the details to Birmingham test site on the 13th Nov, so any day now i should get a date.

Is it possible to place pics on the site of your seatbelt anchor points and other fails points as reference, as i suspect mine will fail two!

I am now concerned about my VIN number as when i stamped it i left a small gap between the numbers, reading the rules there has to be no gap that could allow additional digits to be entered, whilst i think its OK, there the element that the tester may disagree.

Anyway, once again sorry its a fail, but you will soon be on the road.

Best Regards Andy

Guest sadjagboy

Wel done, only 8, well 5 now, things to sort out.

Do you have a windscreen fitted?

Just asking as I've come to the conclusion I'll have to present my 2b without a windscreen as I don't have an e marked one, my kit is so old the windscreen surround has square edges and I can't see that I'll be finished it before the end of April next year, when the amnesty on the non e marked glass ends. Interested in how high your interior mirror is going to have to be, from the top of the scuttle.

Hope you get the more trick fail points sorted easily.

best regards

Angus

Guest Noddy006
Hi Everyone,

6, Too loud (105Db) oops

Thats it for now.

Regards,

Dean

Hi Dean Bad luck but it doesn't sound too bad. Regarding the item 8, If you are referring to the triangular shape at the end of the straps I found some molded rubber fittings in the rear of some old Toyotas saloons (not sure exactly which model now) at a local scrap yard. Cost £3.00 and fitted over brackets with a little force but IVA man was happy.

HTH Ian H

robin

that was an awful edge to leave you should be ashamed of yourself .

i am still after all these years shocked by the inconsistancies of both sva and now iva

why cant a bunch of civil servents who are paid by us not all sing from the same hymn book .

at the end of the day the rules are all the same throughout the country , the book of rules is also the same whereever it has been read ????????

graham

Not bad Dean, I think thats a minor looking list after looking at others throughout the kit car world.

Having said that, apart from the headlights I think the rest is just is just a typical pathetic sva/iva. nit picking, nanny stating,

kit car hating, red taped, jumped up, grab yer cash and petty minded kind of affair.

Phew!

Forgot how angry all this stuff makes me, and Ive never even been though it.

Stoneleigh for sure though I reckon mate.

Andi

Guest mac801123

Hi Larson250 :hi:

The way to cover them is to get hold of some edge trim and cut to the length of the out side of the bracket, tap it to the edge then cable tie the the trim to the bracket between the bolt and the belt going through the bracket.

Will take pics tomorrow to show what I mean..

Thanks Mike :good:

P.S I had the same head lamps........ :mellow:

Guest Larson250

Hey up,

Thanks for all the comments and apologies for not replying sooner as I was at the area meet last night.

As requested here are some photos and explainations of the fail points in more depth.

The chassis number was my fault as I was sure that I had read it could be over two lines. This turns out to be OK for mass produced cars. I had another single line one but due to being on an aluminium panel he said he could not accept. The guy "Dave" was more than helpful in that he was prepared to allow me to re stamp it as I had all the kit there. But when confronted with other points that I couldn't rectify I didn't bother.

The plate around the gear gator was/is an eyesore that I hate but I didn't think it was a fail, again my fault.

The interior mirror I was given the impression that it only had to be present and not particularly functional. (you live and learn) this needs to be on a longer stem and not vibrate.

The two bolts on the master cylinder were level with the end of the nut. These need to have 2-3 threads sticking through the nylock part.

Headlights there was nothing I could do about these. I have spoken to GBS and Richard kindly exchanged them at the area meet last night. (much appreciated thanks) Although the replacements are gigantic hideous looking things that would be more suited to being nose cones on polaris missiles.

The exhaust wishful thinking and a lot of hope. A mate is going to make a baffle on Monday.

Now the interesting ones:-

The seat harness fixing point not high enough. I have Cobra seats of which the passenger I bolted straight to the floor. This just passed, but was very borderline. The drivers seat I put on runners so Caroline could drive it (very occassionally). This was my downfall as the 450mm measurement is taken from the pad of the seat that you sit on up to the level of the fixing. Of course with me raising the seat, the bracket should have been raised equally. One picture shows the tube extension and bracing web that I need to weld in place. (Advised this method by Dave).

The other picture should show how my harness set up was. The triangle tabs sewn into the harness are indeed too sharp and the whole fitting including washers/nut etc both top and bottom need to be covered.

I'm sorry the above is very long winded but hopefully it may help someone in the future.

Thanks for the suggestions so far and keep them coming.

Regards,

Dean

post-3326-1259258455_thumb.jpg

post-3326-1259258476_thumb.jpg

post-3326-1259258489_thumb.jpg

Guest andydav
Hey up,

Thanks for all the comments and apologies for not replying sooner as I was at the area meet last night.

As requested here are some photos and explainations of the fail points in more depth.

The chassis number was my fault as I was sure that I had read it could be over two lines. This turns out to be OK for mass produced cars. I had another single line one but due to being on an aluminium panel he said he could not accept. The guy "Dave" was more than helpful in that he was prepared to allow me to re stamp it as I had all the kit there. But when confronted with other points that I couldn't rectify I didn't bother.

The plate around the gear gator was/is an eyesore that I hate but I didn't think it was a fail, again my fault.

The interior mirror I was given the impression that it only had to be present and not particularly functional. (you live and learn) this needs to be on a longer stem and not vibrate.

The two bolts on the master cylinder were level with the end of the nut. These need to have 2-3 threads sticking through the nylock part.

Headlights there was nothing I could do about these. I have spoken to GBS and Richard kindly exchanged them at the area meet last night. (much appreciated thanks) Although the replacements are gigantic hideous looking things that would be more suited to being nose cones on polaris missiles.

The exhaust wishful thinking and a lot of hope. A mate is going to make a baffle on Monday.

Now the interesting ones:-

The seat harness fixing point not high enough. I have Cobra seats of which the passenger I bolted straight to the floor. This just passed, but was very borderline. The drivers seat I put on runners so Caroline could drive it (very occassionally). This was my downfall as the 450mm measurement is taken from the pad of the seat that you sit on up to the level of the fixing. Of course with me raising the seat, the bracket should have been raised equally. One picture shows the tube extension and bracing web that I need to weld in place. (Advised this method by Dave).

The other picture should show how my harness set up was. The triangle tabs sewn into the harness are indeed too sharp and the whole fitting including washers/nut etc both top and bottom need to be covered.

I'm sorry the above is very long winded but hopefully it may help someone in the future.

Thanks for the suggestions so far and keep them coming.

Regards,

Dean

Hi Dean

Thanks for posting the pics, i see that you have the robin hood supplied mirrors, are these fixed directly to the scuttle, and did these give the correct vision. I have fitted these here on my 2b, but from my measurements won't give the correct feild of vision. I was about to change to bike mirrors. But if your passed OK, then maybe i don't need to.

Pic attached

Andy

post-2127-1259265305_thumb.jpg

Guest Larson250

Hi Dean

Thanks for posting the pics, i see that you have the robin hood supplied mirrors, are these fixed directly to the scuttle, and did these give the correct vision. I have fitted these here on my 2b, but from my measurements won't give the correct feild of vision. I was about to change to bike mirrors. But if your passed OK, then maybe i don't need to.

Pic attached

Andy

Hi Andy,

There was no issue with the side mirrors and they are fixed directly onto the scuttle.

You are more than welcome to come over and have a look if you want.

Dean

Guest andydav
Hi Dean

Pic attached

Andy

Hi Andy,

There was no issue with the side mirrors and they are fixed directly onto the scuttle.

You are more than welcome to come over and have a look if you want.

Dean

Hi Dean, thanks for thr offer, it would be great to come over and have a look, however pressure is now on as my test date came this morning for next thursday, so i think an early start tomorrow and sunday in the garage to finish some points off.

Panicking now as i have not got a rear view mirror, was bidding for one on fleebay, but not sure if it will arrive in time, so may have to modify the original Sierra one.

Also got to sort trailer, better not take my own into a VOSA site, don't think they would let it out again, so waiting upon a mate to confirm if i can use his, otherwise have to hire one.

Regards a very nervous Andy :o :o :o