Snapped Clutch Cable

maw

Cheers Phil, that is most kind. Chris is coming round in a bit to help me. It looks like I've got the right one, I'm just unsure because I'm such a newbie! No doubt there will be an update on the forum later!

• Like 1

Chris aka Tractor came around this afternoon & fixed it for me! Yippee! Thanks Chris!

I now know how to do it & adjust if required. I got the correct cable & also have a spare if required.

I'm slightly embarrassed at how easy this was but I love my car & was frightened to ruin it.

I cannot believe the reaction I've had & the offers of support. Absolute quality.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

So after a long day at work yesterday I decided I'd take the kit out for a run en-route to training. I got a mile up the road and my clutch cable snapped again! Arggh!

Anyhow, I now carry a spare and the tools, 15-minutes later and I was on my way again! I'm learning this game!

I think I need to find a way to add extra heat protection to the cable as it was very warm under the bonnet... Can anyone suggest something?

i used to suffer from regular clutch cable failures, eventually I installed a rubber boot on the bellhousing. This stopped it tracking dirt up the cable, causing high resistance and overloading of the cable. Since then i've not had one fail, but i still carry a spare (just in case i've now cursed myself)!

Guest Ian & Carole

so is there only 1 2wd cosworth cable? as i think i will be changing my cable when i put the 4-1 on. I had a feeling it is quite a bit longer. Is there an in between?

I have read that a Transit one is an inbetweener but can't confirm.

Thanks everyone for your input... I think I have the 2WD drive cable on now because that was in the boot, but the one that just snapped was a 4WD. They're both long and were kept away from the manifold cable tied to a bracket.

Both cables snapped in the pedal box. It is secured between two plates (bolt/nut above and below). I do like my mega quick gear changes so maybe I do have a heavy left foot, at least that matches my right foot too :)

I'll keep on carrying a spare and try be more gentle and see if my driving style change has an impact on how long this one lasts!