Here's The Stone Through The Rad.

Longboarder

Sadly the header is still bubbling so the call on cooked head gasket does seem to be true. Waiting for some fresh block tester fluid before I decide on the next step. Modified blacktop head and 300 cams or further play with the ST head which hasn't overly impressed me yet? Anyone heard the ST heads are a bit weak if skimmed for upping the C.R.?

My only connection with the RAC is riding on the back of their recovery lorries.

Nigel

• 4 months later...

Truss now available for car use as the hernia was repaired two weeks ago. Wonderful to be able to sneeze without screaming.

Got the car out today. Front master cylinder or both front callipers seized on. Run up to temp and tested again for exhaust gasses in the radiator. The magic blue fluid went orange so no miracles in the longboarder garage over Christmas.

Time to get the spanners out. Then I'm off to Perth to do a bit of baby sitting. Might mend it when I get back!

Nigel

Hi Nigel I can sympathise mate i'm 4 weeks post hernia op can still be uncomfortable now. the last week or so ive been tinkering in the garage. So your heading to Perth take it is perth Australia not perth Scotland. If it was we could of met up for a coffee

Andy

Yes, Perth, WA.

Head is off, valves still in place but otherwise stripped.

Gasket perfect, head face perfect, block face perfect.

I did open the ports out on this head, particularly the exhausts and it was skimmed. Either it's warped after being cooked or there is a defect in one of the exhaust port walls due to my ministrations. Of to the engineers in the morning to get it tested.

Bit odd the difference in 'soot' in the four cylinders. 2 and 4 definitely cleaner. Bad injectors a bit weak. Steam cleaning.

Original assembly pics are still on the camera dated last July.

Nigel

post-21-0-17639400-1361391530_thumb.jpg

No rust in there on plugs or bore walls. Will show you the head tomorrow if you're at work. Strange to still be able to see the numbers on the valve heads after 1000 miles. Only tippex. Sturdy stuff!

I need to get the head checked for flatness and the ports pressure tested.

Nigel

Head grind complete. (Not flycut) Everything else checks out. Some new valvestem seals, headgasket and headbolts and we shall see. Bits make take a few days to get.

Interestingly the injectors when tested were pants.

1 poor pattern 60ml

2 adequate 110ml

3 adequate 110ml

4 poor pattern 110ml

New ones needed/ordered.

Nigel

About 6 years/25000 miles in my car but they were second hand.

Always a good principle to have their flow rates and spray patterns checked and cleaned if needed. All the trouble we take to get air flow balanced in four throttle bodies and then in my case have one injector only adding half the fuel of the others. I wonder how much HP that looses? If say half potential HP for that cylinder then that's 25!!!!!

Nigel