Iva Fail

johnhetherington

Took my 2B Plus to Gillingham on Friday and as the title says, it failed.

Not miserably but still a fail

The minor points were

1. The brakes were spongy and needed bleeding, although they did pass the brake test with flying colours

2. The A post on the windscreen needs rubber edging.

3. Under dash edge needs small rubber edging.

4. N/S under dash needs edging.

5. The lower panel where the fog and reversing lights fit to needs edging.

6. The grill in the nose cone does not have the correct radius.

7. Engine mount when viewed from under the car appears to have one of the 4 fixing points not completely flat against the face edge.

8. The louvres in the bonnett need rubber edging

They were the minor points which are all easily rectified.

9. The main failure was the position on the seat belt mounting points, not the strength but the position.

The upper belts go through the holes in the Cobra seats and are not directly in line with the fixing points, this creates a weak point, solution is different seats or move the mounting point. These were already part of the kit so I was goverened by that.

10. The lower fixing point was also a failure because of the position, again I was goverened by the kit, I positioned the inner point from the position of the outer which is determined by the kit.

Because the lower mounting point is too far forward the belt sits on your lap and does not go across the stomach.which would allow 'Submarining' in the event of an accident.

Biggest issue I have is that I now have a full tank of fuel and need to weld new brackets for the seat belts, even draining the tank will not get rid of the fumes, which are the dangerous bit.

Overall not too bad a result, even though I am disappointed, I was pleased it passed the brake test with no problems, emmissions were fine, noise was 96db so a result, oh and the speedo was reading 69 on his meter and 70 on my speedo, so I did calibrate it right.

Already had offers of help from fellow members so will take them up on that.

Will also be booking a retest on Monday as I understand there is a months waiting list.

A hell of an experience and not a bad result, the examiners opening line was, I've only ever passed one kit car first time and I've done hundreds, and he was an aero engineer'

Thanks to one and all for all your help and advice, sure it would have been worse had I not had the feedback from you guys and the amazing help from my local fellow Hoodies.

post-2376-0-97288000-1436684467_thumb.jpgpost-2376-0-80700400-1436684529_thumb.jpgpost-2376-0-03619900-1436684648_thumb.jpg

Thanks Nick but I did discuss that with the examiner, if the belt went around the seat it would still fail as in the event of a front impact the belt would be slackened as it cut into the seat under the forward force

And to answer Richys question, it is the face of the grill that makes the mesh that does not have the required radius.

John,

Not a total disaster, we just need some grey matter time to work out the seat belt problem.

Sort out a date and we'll get to yours to drink your tea and get all the fail points ticked off so that you can get your lovely car where it deserves - on the road.

Many hands and all that.

At least the self centering problem is sorted!

I am free most week ends - let me know what suits.

Cheers

Al

With the petrol tank drain all you can, try to syphon any dregs & then fill tank with hot water ( outside the garage !! ) until it overflows, When ready to re-fill with fuel drain & syphon all water, then fit a long small diameter to your garage hoover ( or the one indoors) & investigate all corners with suction. Shouldn't be more than a spoonful left & filters should take care that.

The vents in the bonnet should be "exempt" as they are part of the cooling system, think max height of opening is 10mm. No mention of trim for vents when Florin passed at Southampton.

Guest 2b cruising

Nothing wrong with fitting a bit of trimming to the vents for the sake of pleasing the examiner.

The less friction caused, the cooler the reaction.

Exactly Ken, I have fitted most of the trim today so should keep him happy, we will bleed the brakes on Wednesday and I think I have a solution for the seat belt mounts.

Dont know where I am going to put all that petrol once I have drained it, looks like Liz and my sons cars will soon have full tanks.

John Tig welding does not transfer as much heat as mig

When i had sleves fitted to the rear hoop to fit tow bracket i went to remove bits and got told not to

all went well was a prow welder as well.

so a few quid on a prow job may save a lot of work

stephen

IVA Manual Page 127 Part 16 External projections Required standard Paragraph 5 ( in right hand column )

Grills, gaps slots etc etc that have a width of 10mm or less as determined by the contact points of the 100mm sphere must be blunted.

Might save you ages trying to get those little bits of trim to stay in place!!