Sump Gasket Sealants

Hi,

I have fitted the ATR sump from GBS, but I cannot get a good seal with a few small leaks. It comes with a cork gasket. Whats the best sealant to use to ensure a oil free seal, I do not fancy repeating this job again.

I use wynns black rtv gasket sealant. Comes in quite a big tube so it is not the cheapest but it's good stuff.

A lot of positive praise on the internet, but many different makes and not all are good.

Halfords sell Loctite 5980 sealant which it what is recommended on RV8. Used it on mine with no gasket and no leaks.

Used without a gasket, very tempting assume theres a curing time before tightening.

You just apply the sealer and torque down as normal as it can seal from a thin film to several mm thickness. From memory I just ran a 6mm bead all round and went from there.

Cure strength improves with time - they suggest 7 day for maximum cure before heavy service. As this normally used in OEM applications, the long cure time isn't a problem.

Another vote for RTV sealant! Have used it to success on my sump and oil cooler/filter housing surfaces without an intermediate gasket (cooler/filter housing is under pressure too!) I can confirm the best thing is a long cure time too. Once I fixed it properly, it hasn't leaked since!

• 2 weeks later...