Motorcraft 6 Wire Amp

Hi,

I know it sounds like a daft question but I don't have a plug for my amplifier and looking at all the diagrams I've convinced myself it could be the pin at either end that goes to the battery.

Please can someone tell me, when looking at the Amplifier with the Motorcraft word the right way up and the pins facing the floor, is it the wire at the "M" end of the word Motorcraft (left side) that goes to the battery?

Many Thanks

Nige

Hi Nige,

Working from Left to Right (or from the M of Motorcraft to the last T :D ):

1) to coil -Ve

2) to coil +ve

3) to starter solenoid (crank signal)

4) to inductive trigger (in distributor). Brown/Red wire on mine.

5) also to inductive trigger. Light Green/Yellow on mine.

6) to ground.

HTH

Trev

Thanks Trev,

I am glad I asked, I was wiring my amplifier up as shown on the NW site Inductive Dizzy and presumed the order the wires are shown was as they connect to the pins :o It hadn't actually entered my head that it was drawn with reference to the wire colours. It was only last night when I started wiring the Amplifier up I realised it may not be the case :rolleyes:

Cheers

Nige

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Returning to this post show's how slow my build is :rolleyes: However, I am having no luck in trying to get a spark and I think my problem is with the amplifier (well I hope it is!)

I have got my engine cranking over and have oil px, I have 12v at the coil, but absolutely no spark. My amplifier is wired up as per Trev's instructions. Before I start going off and buying a new amplifier, does anyone have any idea's?

Many Thanks

Nige

Before I start going off and buying a new amplifier, does anyone have any idea's?

Very interested to hear the outcome from this as I have exactly the same problem. <_<

I tried to buy a new amplifier today from my local Ford main-dealer, but the chap claimed they don't make them any more!! :o

No wires go to the battery. You should have an 'ignition on' live supply to the coil pos and then on to pin 2 of the amplifier. That's how the amp and coil are powered. If that's OK then I suggest you swop round the Gn/Y and R/Bk on pins 4 and 5 as I think they should be the other way round.

Joel, you should be able to find dizzy and amp in a scrappy. Just make sure it's a six wire amp and the dizzy is a Bosch one with a round three wire plug ( purple, orange and black or R/Bk, Gn/Y and Bk) and it has mechanical advance and a vacuum unit on it. The hall effect ESC11 dizzy will not work with the inductive amp.

Nigel

• 4 weeks later...
Guest steve cave
Thanks for the response Nigel

Joel, if you do end up needing an amplifier, I found this company link that seems to sell suitable units (keep scrolling down on the switches page!)

Many Thanks

Nige

hiy.iv got problem with my dizzy.im not getting aspark.iv got power from the motorcraft box back to my plus side on the coil.iv only got 2 wires from the plug on the dizzy is there sposed to be any live from 1 of them?

olly

There are only two wires from the amp to the plug for the dizzy. There are three wires from the dizzy to the other side of that same plug. The earth wire from the dizzy gets as far as the plug but doesn't go anywhere from there. Presumably the dizzy body earths through the engine and that's enough. The coil has a 12 volt live to the + side and the other low tension side is connected to the amp.

Nigel

Electronics? Haven't much clue but the two wires connected to the inductive trigger in the dizzy are I think passive sensing only and the magnetic field is provided by a permanent magnet, so that would be no voltage in either. But there may be an electromagnet element in there too, so if that were the case there would be voltage difference between them. Dunno, test with the magic fluxometer.

Guest steve cave
There are only two wires from the amp to the plug for the dizzy. There are three wires from the dizzy to the other side of that same plug. The earth wire from the dizzy gets as far as the plug but doesn't go anywhere from there. Presumably the dizzy body earths through the engine and that's enough. The coil has a 12 volt live to the + side and the other low tension side is connected to the amp.

Nigel

Electronics? Haven't much clue but the two wires connected to the inductive trigger in the dizzy are I think passive sensing only and the magnetic field is provided by a permanent magnet, so that would be no voltage in either. But there may be an electromagnet element in there too, so if that were the case there would be voltage difference between them. Dunno, test with the magic fluxometer.

well iv tested for power from the coil and pin 2 its there.so im going to do a contniwety test on ll the others just incase theres bad conection or brack.got a ace digram from http://nw.rhocar.org/inductive_ign.htm

olly

Guest steve cave
Excellent diagram. :rolleyes:

Nigel

with the help of the above diagram im all sorted and bck on the road

iv sorted my spark prob out,turns out it was a split wire from the neg side of the coil back to the motorcrft box.

back on the road now so all good

olly