Zetec-r Engine Into Gbs Zero

Guest danielbrookes

Guest danielbrookes

Hi,

I've been looking into building my first kit car. I've wanted to do this for a while but I dont think I have enough technical knowledge to do it, but I have a good friend who is willing to help me and I am up for the challenge (and steep learning curve!) So I'm not too savvy so bear with me....

Anyway, I am still researching at the moment but I was wondering if anyone knew if the Zetec-R Engine would fit into the GBS Zero? I have given up on the idea of finding a Sierra to use as a donar for the engine as I just cant find any near me. I have found a brand new engine on ebay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Ford-Zetec-Engine-2-0L-Black-Top-High-Spec-Zetec-R-Kit-Car-Focus-Fiesta-/300605069741?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45fd7559ad) which I like the idea of.

I think it may fit but I dont know?

Thanks,

Danny

Guest dctough

The Zetec-R is the engine used in most GBS zeros - so yes it will fit and as CMA's says GBS can provide all the ancilliaries to get it running. If you're buying a kit from GBS then it will be cheaper to get the engine through them as part of the kit. Have a look at my build photos (link below) to see how it fits together.

Dave

The Zetec had another redesign in 1998. This version, the Zetec-R, had a two-piece crankcase which helped damp out noise and vibration, conventional tappets with shims rather than hydraulic ones, and longer connecting rods with a lower piston compression height. This engine was used in turbocharged form in the Focus RS and had 212 bhp (158 kW; 215 PS) (dubbed Duratec RS). It was also used in the Focus ST170 with a cylinder head modified by Cosworth with Variable Valve Timing on the inlet cam and had 170 bhp (127 kW; 172 PS).

The Zetec can be identified by having a silver cam cover with DOHC16v on the bottom left, the Zetec-E has ZETEC16v on the bottom left, and the Zetec-R has a black plastic cam cover

Guest ollie chapman

Hi, to add my two-pennorth here get a good MT75 gearbox which bolts on fine, lighter and more modern than the old type 9 which in cast-iron weighs a ton. Watch if changing flywheels for a lighter, higher revving type, - i.e. one off a 1.8 Zetec is popular - as this can cause issues with clutch release system and starter motor type. We fitted a Raceline flywheel which is nice but ended up having to buy a new geared starter from Eurolec (very good firm, helpful and prompt) because the pinion throw is just not far enough on the standard starter. Cost £150 but the cranking power is well worth it and it is a very compact unit. Still needs mods mind, we had to countersink one of the holes on the spacer flange and use a countersunk head allen screw ground to the right diameter to line everything up properly. If you need pics just ask. Cheers.

Guest merc190provan

Just to add, Dunnell Engines supplied my flywheel with ring gear (NEW) for £130 exchange and supplied the clutch which allows you to retain the standard Sierra thrust release with no other mods. They also do a standard lightened Zetec flywheel which allows you to use the zetec clutch supplied, i also have a MT75 by the way. Starter needed is Lucas LRS 707 or equivalent.

Marty Smith

• 11 months later...
Guest Davey B

I must say I am really impressed with the guys who build their own kits Iv'e looked at all the builds and videos and am really looking forward to eventually owning one of my own :good: