7 replies to this topic

#1 alanh65

alanh65

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 17
  • 363 posts
  • Car type:Robin Hood series III

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:12 PM

At my last MOT, the tester stated that there was a bit of wear when applying lock to the steering and suggested that there may well be wear in the steering rack making it 'notchy'.

There is an advisory stating:

Steering system slightly rough (2.2.D.1)

My 'Hoodie' is a Robin Hood series III, built in 1997 from a 1987 Sierra saloon.

As the car is now a magnificent age of 20 (steering, probably 30!) should I just replace the steering rack with new?

I appear to be looking at a replacement cost of about £135 ... if I go with eBay replacement parts.

What advice can you offer please?

#2 Big Jim

Big Jim

One of the old farts!

• RHOCaR 17
  • 3,785 posts
  • Car type:Mark 3, Vauxhall powered.

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:49 PM

The rack that I have on my series 3 was the original sierra one, I fitted a quick rack internals from Rally design to mine, so this might be the way to go. The rack is adjustable if there is wear, in fact if you do swap the internals, you'll need to adjust it it to get the correct "feel" without play or "notching"

To remove / replace the internals, once the rack has been removed from the car, remove the track rods from the shaft. In the back of the rack, in line with the pinion, there is the adjuster that pushes the shaft onto the pinion, so you can either try adjusting this to remove any play (if you're not going to fit new internals) or remove it altogether for now. Next you'll need to remove the pinion shaft, This is held in with a screwed 'collar' that you'll need to make a special spanner for. ( I found a piece of pipe the correct dia, filed it so that there were 'dogs' to fit into the slots in this collar, then welded that you an old spanner. Fit the new internals from Rally Design, grease it all up, adjust the "push on the shaft" and you have a reconditioned quick rack. It does make one heck of a difference.

https://www.rallydes...roducts_id=7326   = Parts are £69.50.

Attached Files

Edited by Big Jim, 05 December 2017 - 09:53 PM.

North West Owners Club Website at; http://nw.rhocar.org/  (Now unable to get onto to it to make changes)

#3 florin metal works

florin metal works

Hants & Dorset Area Secretary

• Committee
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,054 posts
  • Car type:2B+

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:57 PM

Are you sure the play is in the rack & not the column -- our MOT advisory pointed to a u/j in the shaft that was worn, probably due to heat soak when welded to lengthen. 

#4 cb750

cb750

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 17
  • 1,154 posts
  • Car type:3A

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:40 AM

Check the column universal joints first as one of mine showed up as a notchiness and was worn. I had my rack stripped, checked and reset by Jay Gee over at Bilston 01902 404258 - didn't charge that much. He also said if I got him the quick rack parts he would fit them at the same time but he was concerned that the steering would be too heavy at parking speeds as no power steering and my tyres are quite wide at 205/40 x 17 so I never did it but sometimes wish I had!

#5 alanh65

alanh65

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 17
  • 363 posts
  • Car type:Robin Hood series III

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:28 AM

Thank you ... a few ideas there for me to check out. Many thanks guys.

#6 Peter Bell

Peter Bell

Bus Pass Boyz

• RHOCaR 17
  • 2,632 posts
  • Car type:Mk1 Sierra 7

Posted 09 December 2017 - 12:15 AM

+1 for universal joint causing problem.
You don't stop playing because you get older, you get older because you stop playing!

#7 brumster

brumster

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 17
  • 1,025 posts
  • Car type:Zero

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:00 AM

One option, depending on your setup, is to drop the steering shaft off (undo the UJ clamp) in the engine bay. Now you can test the steering column and bulkhead bush, which should obviously feel smooth and free-turning, separate to the rack itself, so you should be able to at least narrow down where you're looking.

#8 Grim

Grim

What do you mean by 'wash'?

• 3,665 posts
  • Car type:Fully stainless / green 2b, standard 2l pinto, self dismantling

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:07 AM

i bought a sierra rack a few years ago from andrew page, cost bout £30ish