Windscreen Glass Safety

Steve49er

Hi All, I seem to remember Phil Shelton putting some useful comments on the Forum with regard to Shattering Windscreens which has worried me. I have looked at my Windscreen that is fitted to the Car it has a BS Kite Mark and the Numbers BS85715-1967 and PCG Glass etched on to the screen. Has anyone any idea if this Screen is of a suitable quality that will not suffer from Shattering and Splintering ?

Thanks for any response.

Steve.

Mines the same. It was made by Pearce and cutler glass (pcg). My neighbour was a windscreen fitter and told me it would be a toughened glass and recommends changing it to laminated as has been said on here. He also said to try Heated Windscreens in Tamworth for cutting a laminated screen. I will be changing mine before the car goes back on the road.

• Like 1

CB750 :wacko: Many thanks for your comment which is appreciated can you keep me posted on how you get on I live in Arley not too far to Tamworth perhaps we could see if they had an order for Two Screens what sort of price they could do ?

Cheers.

Steve. :hi:

Steve, not quite ready yet to get my screen but will contact them and see what price they can do it / them for. Busy fitting some adapted wide wings to my 3A to cover the wheels which were sticking outside of the originals wings!

Rob

Do the current screens provided by GBS still suffer the problem or are they laminated? If they're not laminated, then I'll take one from HW too....

edit: scratch that, see from their website it's toughened. So ok, put me down for one too!

Edited by brumster

Do the current screens provided by GBS still suffer the problem or are they laminated? If they're not laminated, then I'll take one from HW too....

edit: scratch that, see from their website it's toughened. So ok, put me down for one too!

think zero one will be different size to 2b so best to do a template
  • Like 1

Strange that IVA still allow toughened screens --- would of thought a change to laminated screen to be a must do -- not allowed to cut your self on an edge but can fill your eyes ( or head in my case) with glass.

Presumably 2B, 3A and Zero screens are different sizes? A group buy of a few of each size might reduce the cost.

I've had experience of screens cut from laminated glass and I've cut a couple of screens myself and the results have been mixed to say the least. The problem seems to be getting the cut edge smooth and nicks and imperfections in the edges make the screen very likely to crack if it is flexed in service. The edges need to be machine polished not just in the normal cut state and if the two glass sheets are cut on each side before the laminate film is trimmed, you tend to end up with the glass pieces being slightly different shapes leading to steps in the thickness of the glass.

I wonder if it's possible to cut the laminate blank with a water jet so it leaves a smooth edge requiring no further polishing. This would speed up the process and maybe reduce the cost.

Here's an alternative and cheaper thought - why not just apply this onto the inside of a toughened screen?

http://www.motorsport-tools.com/anti-shatter-glass-safety-security-car-window-film.html

It's widely used in motorsport since the governing body made it mandatory on side glass a few years ago...? Wonder if it affects forward vision though :( would have to get it on pristine to avoid any bubbles/etc.... might not be possible?

Just been in touch with HeatedWindscreens (Ricky Evans Motorsport (glass) Ltd) and they want me to email them tonight with dimensions so that they can quote. They do it on site, not certain if they polish the edges but I will ask. They did ask if I wanted a heated one! Will let you know how I get on

Rob