Age Related Plate

Guest Peterrrwatkiinsss

Guest Peterrrwatkiinsss

Hi guys, just a quick one. My bro has recently finished building his super spec and is now planning on registering it, providing it passes it's Ava he's looking at getting an age related plate.

He has based his build around a 2003 2.0 zetec mondeo so he's looking to get the plates via that! He's documented his build with photos and still has what's left of the car. He has used 2 major components such as engine and steering rack however he isn't sure of what else he will need to secure an age related plate so all advise would be appreciated.

There are a list of major parts that can be classed as reconditioned in the DVLA rules.

I bundled gearbox and diff under the word "Transmission" and that was accepted. (Don't mention them individually though)

I believe you also need the V5 from the donor and proof that all the major parts came from that (E.g. engine number matches for one). Photo evidence helps. Since the steering rack doesn't have serial numbers that are used, I think it would be hard for DVLA to prove it didn't come from the donor (unless of course that rack was the wrong type and could never have come from it)

DVLA should have sent out the "amateur builder's pack" which should have all the relevant forms in it too.

It's been a while sine I did this so I may have forgotten something ... :)

Simon.

If it's a Superspec and he has just replaced the engine I think he will have a major problem getting an age-related plate, as all the other major parts will be brand new (except the reconditioned rear axle) and only the engine will be from the donor car. If he had used the original engine he would have got a 2015 plate, but with a different engine my money is on a 'Q' plate.

Guest 2b cruising

If it is not to late you can get by this hurdle.

You register an engine change in the donor before scrapping it.

As long as that engine is in the log book, it should go through.

I know this has been successful very recently, at a very tough testing station.

Have I misunderstood here ? As I understand it ONLY the engine is from the donor car and it will already be in the donor log book. Therefore this car has an old engine, a reconditioned rear axle and everything else is brand new. That is almost the definition of a 'Q' plate. The workaround would have been to do the IVA with the original new Rover engine, get the age related plate for a new car, then change the engine for the Zetec and get the V5 amended.

Interesting, didn't know that. I thought all the Superspec owners with non-Rover engines I had talked to had changed the engines because they didn't like the Rover. Doesn't change anything though, I still think that a 'used' engine means there is no chance of an age-related plate.

Guest 2b cruising

Sorry Allan. The car I was talking about just being built was a 2b.

It was a long time in the building using mostly donor parts.

The v5 was sent away as the car was being broken up.

The chap had actually bought a new crate engine that he had the v5 registered to.

I think they were called super spec 05 and were just a basic kit

Yes, funnily enough I found the original brochure last night. It was called Superspec 05 and it says it was designed to take a Rover or a Pinto or a Zetec, although if you wanted to buy the rolling chassis version it came with the Rover. Interestingly it says that just 10 Superspecs were produced with the 'titanium' finish. I have seen 3 of them, be interesting to know what happened to the other 7 :)

Guest Peterrrwatkiinsss

Hi guys sorry for taking so long to reply, I've been working away and no signal/wifi.

Just to add a few things to the mix which I forgot to mention.

He bought the chassis second hand with no paper work. It had a pinto engine in it not a rover or zetec.

Only proof he has is the receipt of purchase of the super spec 05 and of course all relevant paper work for the mondeo

Yes just the engine has been swapped. So if I say transmission as well that would mean it would be front wheel drive but unfortunately it's not. So he can scrap that idea so maybe as mentioned the steering rack could be used as a second major component?.

There's 2 parts. I've heard/read numerous times now that you only need 2 major components and of course photo documented proof of the build and not forgetting the original v5 from the mondeo to secure a age related plate?

Providing the iva goes to plan and it passes would it just be as simple as filling a form out and sending it off with the above mentioned Info?.

We had this discussion a few months back and many of us are of the opinion that we would be better off with a 'Q' plate than an age-related plate. Is he aware that having an age-related plate means he will have to meet the emissions standards for that year ? (A 'Q' plate is visible smoke only). As far as we can see the only benefit of an age-related plate is to make a resale a bit easier as some people (incorrectly IMHO) don't trust 'Q' plates.

• 2 months later...
Guest Joe Green

I have one.

Just in the process of kicking the DVLA in the head to register it mind as it has taken me a while to build.

Apparently it will be given a Q plate. TBH I do not care about what plate is on it. Just as long as I can drive the damn thing. Im not too worried about resale and how a Q will look as my intention of selling it is minimal.

It was originally sold with a brand new Zetec.

The Superspec 05 was 'designed' as a one stop shop. The Top of the range with 'everything' that you needed included.

Obviously that was not the case and nearly all owners and builders had to modify, customise and buy all sorts of bits.

The Zetec was offered as an option.