Windscreen Frame To Brackets

deano266

Just used some countersunk, cut-down self-tappers (small ones, mind). Did it with glass in place but you obviously have to drill the first hole slowly and carefully - once you're through the aluminium, mark your drill-bit for depth with some masking tape so you can drill the other holes with a little more peace of mind. Likewise, with the self-tappers, measure them for depth and grind them down so they won't impact the glass. And don't oversize the holes :)

Similar to CB750, but I used ally 'L' bracket (length of ally purchased from B&Q).

The wider section screwed to the bracket, the narrow section screwed to the windscreen frame (drilled and tapped using M4 dome heads).

Word of caution, (and apologies for stating the bleedin obvious), do all the drilling & tapping with the screen removed!

I used a plywood screen for initial assembly, using self tappers to hold it all together. I then drilled the holes to 6mm and "wobbled" the drill inside the frame to create a countersink. I then ground the sides off some M6 screws and fitted them from the inside, using dome nuts on the outside.

Hope that ramble is understandable.

Nick

Guest 2b cruising

Excellent idea on first assembly.

Or before fitting a replacement screen.

Much better than relying on short length of thread in aluminium.

I would still only use 4mm bolts and dome nuts though.

Guest Ian & Carole

I used a plywood screen for initial assembly, using self tappers to hold it all together. I then drilled the holes to 6mm and "wobbled" the drill inside the frame to create a countersink. I then ground the sides off some M6 screws and fitted them from the inside, using dome nuts on the outside.

Hope that ramble is understandable.

Nick

That's how I did ours, really didn't fancy 3 cut down 3mm self tappers and the dome headed chrome nuts passed SVA as well.

DSC00906.jpg

You can make them out in this pic.

Edited by Ian & Carole

tapped the frame - m6 domed stainless machine screws for mine. Seems pretty secure but still not looking forward to testing it with a Deer anytime soon (i drive through the forest of dean where all sorts of animals like to jump at you).

I also recently modded the pillar and welded on threaded lugs on the inside so i could bolt the hinges on the pillar without seeing nuts on the inside. They just screw into the pillars.

I had wondered about creating a 3/4inch tubular surround that would pass down through the scuttle and bolt to the chassis but that's a fair bit of work me thinks. One day perhaps.

The 3 self tappers that came with the kit were hilarious, i think sellotape would be a similar strength.