Buying An Exmo

Guest Mph28mph

Guest Mph28mph

Got the chance to buy an Exmo but only read bad things about them on the net about the chassis

Are there any owners on here to offer advice as to whether to hold out for a 3b

Thanks in advance

The Exmo is roomy and rides soft and relaxed, as long as you're willing to accept that dynamically it's pretty dreadful in original suspension guise. It can be improved though - tie bar conversion on the front, softer springs on the front, coil overs or better dampers on the back... but don't expect it to compete against the newer models dynamically.

Things to watch out for...

Cracking around floor/front bulkhead, front "flying buttresses" (as they're affectionately known!) meeting the tub

The top bearings for the front suspension were incorrect type, plus RH didn't initially make it known that the tops needed strengthening and many people missed out on plating up the buttresses on the top side... so look for evidence of the strut tops "bowing" upwards or punching through

Check the rear diff mount to boot floor as well, this needed additional strengthening and bolting up. As said, the stainless ones have the potential to suffer more because of the nature of the steel itself.

Rollover hoop, if fitted, is purely cosmetic. Don't get too worried when you see it held in place with U clamps ;)

Otherwise just drive it and check for all the normal things you'd check with any car you was looking to buy ;) ! At the end of the drive, leave it ticking over on the drive to make sure it doesn't overheat.

They're a nice, comfortable drive (as are most of the pre-GBS Robin Hoods, in all fairness - which is the attraction of course).

As mentioned above in the earlier posts there are things to look out for, but thats the case in any used car.

My exmo will never be in the same category as a westie or caterham but that is referenced in the price.

Its roomy, fun and regardless of which make or model you choose people will always stop and want to chat. Ive had mine over 10 years and I wont sell it. Its too much part of me.