Exmo Front Shocks

Guest georgey101

Guest georgey101

<_< Hi all I'm new to all of this so forgive me if I sound a bit thick.

I aquired "Kitty" last year, and have had some great fun in her since. Only a bog std 1.6 pinto, but quick enough for my old bones. Only carried out a few cosmetic mods as everything seems ok with her (touch wood). I do plan some things for the winter but while the sun shines all of that can wait.

One of my shock absorbers has started weeping (I'll replace both sides) I presume they are std as supplied by RH. I know Lolocost sell them but can the insert be replaced if so what with, are there any other useful quick and cheapish mods I can make for any improvements. I know about the reinforcement of the chassis at the top damper mount (thanks to a previous post) which will be carried out when the shocks get replaced.

That's about it for now.

Thanks all for any info.

George S

<_< Hi all I'm new to all of this so forgive me if I sound a bit thick.

I aquired "Kitty" last year, and have had some great fun in her since. Only a bog std 1.6 pinto, but quick enough for my old bones. Only carried out a few cosmetic mods as everything seems ok with her (touch wood). I do plan some things for the winter but while the sun shines all of that can wait.

One of my shock absorbers has started weeping (I'll replace both sides) I presume they are std as supplied by RH. I know Lolocost sell them but can the insert be replaced if so what with, are there any other useful quick and cheapish mods I can make for any improvements. I know about the reinforcement of the chassis at the top damper mount (thanks to a previous post) which will be carried out when the shocks get replaced.

That's about it for now.

Thanks all for any info.

George S

The best mod of all is to throw the RHSC shockers into the bin, and replace all round. before anyone can help you though we need to know exactly which model of Hood you've got.

Guest salty_monk

Replace with Gaz or Dampertech coilovers if possible. I don't know much about the exmo but they are both pretty helpful companies & should be able to help you out.

Won't be a cheap mod but should be relatively easy & the performance will be better. Someone should be able to tell you what length & spring rates to use.

Dan :)

its an exmo Jim

Dave

Mat could be the best help here then, as he's had/ got one, but I think that your rear shocks are just shockers, and not coil overs, and your front suspension is a McPherson strut affair.

What ever the rears are, take one off, measure it fully closed and fully open then ask a supplier to match it. the fronts are somewhat different, I believe that this has been asked before (and answered) so hopefully someone will come along with the right answer.

Guest Ace Fettler

Just caught this thread. The front stuts which are fitted to the exmo are actually constructed from a standard strut insert with a collar pressed on to act as a lower spring seat. I had to replace those fitted to my exmo and on checking the numbers stamped into the casing discovered they were standard strut inserts from a Ford P100 pickup. (The standard Sierra inserts have a smaller diameter piston rod and hence a smaller thread and nut at the upper mounting point). The collar pressed on and off quite easily and in fact gave me the opportunity to re-machine them to lower the ride height to improve the handling. Hope this helps.

Guest georgey101
You should set you location George, I have a pair in the garage if your interested :)

Hi Mat

Very interested, a bit late at the moment, I'll contact you when I'm more awake ie less beer in me blood stream.

Thanks for that.

George.

Just caught this thread. The front stuts which are fitted to the exmo are actually constructed from a standard strut insert with a collar pressed on to act as a lower spring seat. I had to replace those fitted to my exmo and on checking the numbers stamped into the casing discovered they were standard strut inserts from a Ford P100 pickup. (The standard Sierra inserts have a smaller diameter piston rod and hence a smaller thread and nut at the upper mounting point). The collar pressed on and off quite easily and in fact gave me the opportunity to re-machine them to lower the ride height to improve the handling. Hope this helps.

Hi Richard

Thanks for the info, most useful.

Guest georgey101
I believe the Exmo uses the same front mini McPhersons as the 2B/4. These are still available from lolocost (last time I checked).

Hi Elwe

I phoned Lolocost on Monday they reckon they don't stock them anymore,(although their website parts list still says they do), whoever I spoke to advised me to phone Technical, which I did, Tech said if I removed an' measured the extended length and the collapsed length, maybe they could give me a match. Not too much help.

Cheers George.