Engine Removal.with Or Without Gearbox?

Guest smegheadsteve

Guest smegheadsteve

Hi Folks.

Just a quicky,nearly ready to remove my engine(due to leaking rear core plug!).But someone mentioned that I will have to remove it with the gearbox aswell.

Is this the case?

It's a 2B,2.0 pinto,type 9.

Cheers.

Steve.

Guest Ian & Carole

No need

You will create more problems for your self if you take them out together.

Just make sure you support the gearbox with a trolly jack or the like when you split them.

If you do decide to take it all out as one you will have probs

1 refitting the prop shaft

2 you will loose most if not all of the gearbox oil

3 and the biggest problem of all WILL be the speedo cable circlip. :girl_devil: :girl_devil: :diablo: :diablo:

Guest smegheadsteve

Yes,he did mention the speedo cable circlip,said this was the biggest part of the whole job!

But he said I wouldn't have enough room to move engine forward enough to clear gearbox shaft.

Looks like it's good news then,engine out on it's own.

Guessing I will have to remove pulleys etc off the front.

Cheers chaps.

Steve.

I've done this several times now in my 2B and just about to have to do it abgain this weekend due to a bust gearbox.

It's a lot easier to remove the engine and leave the box in situ.

As Ian says support the gearbox and it will come off the splines fine.

It's a bit tricky aligning the gearbox input shaft again, but with a few hands to help, it's a lot easier than bringing the lot out

cheers

C

Guest Ian & Carole

just about to have to do it abgain this weekend due to a bust gearbox.

Hi Chris

Does that mean you are not comming to Newark ??

Shouldn't have to remove anything not connected with he chassis. Just undo the bolts between GB and engine, a tappy, tappy to split and Bobs you'r Auntie.

If you need to move the car, I suggest a strap around the cross member to support the GB.

Guest MarkB

i managed to get my engine out with radiator and everything else attached, came out in 20 mins, but, what a barsteward to get back in, if i had a couple of people with me it may have gone in easy but on my own it took 3 hours to get the splines to go :aggressive:

Guest smegheadsteve

Thanks chaps.

Hoping it will be slightly easier to get engine out as I am taking head off first cos I am changing cam.

Cheers.

Steve.

Thanks chaps.

Hoping it will be slightly easier to get engine out as I am taking head off first cos I am changing cam.

Cheers.

Steve.

As far as I know you don't need to remove the head to change the cam. Only done when the engines in the car as the cam comes out the rear of a pinto and there aint room in a tin top to get it out.

Nigel

Thanks chaps.

Cheers.

Steve.

on the 2b you can cut a hole in the bulkhead, the cam comes out ok then, without removing the head

Guest Stuartl

I've done this several times now in my 2B and just about to have to do it abgain this weekend due to a bust gearbox.

It's a lot easier to remove the engine and leave the box in situ.

As Ian says support the gearbox and it will come off the splines fine.

It's a bit tricky aligning the gearbox input shaft again, but with a few hands to help, it's a lot easier than bringing the lot out

cheers

C

I used the trolley jack method when taking out the engine on my Sylva Striker which I seemed to do far too frequently. I have a chain hoist hanging from the garage roof and the trolley jack adjustment, adjustment on the hoist and nudging the car back and forth with my knees worked really well. Remember to leave it in neutral though otherwise the splines will be a moving target!!

There was always this great sense of relief when you saw the gap between the bellhousing and the engine finally close though!

Guest smegheadsteve

As far as I know you don't need to remove the head to change the cam. Only done when the engines in the car as the cam comes out the rear of a pinto and there aint room in a tin top to get it out.

Nigel

I am getting the full cam kit,so will be changing springs etc,so I assumed the head would have to come off.Is this the case?

Steve.

I am getting the full cam kit,so will be changing springs etc,so I assumed the head would have to come off.Is this the case?

Steve.

Yes head off as you will have to release all the valves collets etc to get the springs off also it will come with new valve stem seals which you might as well replace while it is in bits . I have just done mine and the head is not exactly hard to remove.

Whilst the head is off if you replace the head gasket with a felpro from burtons you will gain approx 4bhp mine did on the dyno also get your head bolts from gaskets for classics they are the cheapest i,ve found