Shortened Sump

gomatthome

having been out for a few drives since passing sva last week i need to shorten the sump as its grounding even on 'smooth' roads. God knows if i encounter a speed bump.

I have very basic welding skills and an arc welder is the job easy to do? i am fortunate to have a spare sump to practice on.

should i try to find someone to do for me.

regrads

phil

Guest salty_monk

Yes, easy enough to do if your welding is reasonable. You have to decide whether you can do a consistent weld that won't leak.

other than that save the hassle & send it to the Battery Boys, let Joey worry about whether it leaks or not.... :D

Make sure it's very clean before you try to weld it. Follow Big Jim's instructions...

Dan :)

Guest turbo

if your welds are not good and tight oil will find a way out

i would recomend getting a welder to do it right

andeven if the welder does it check it for leeks before refitting <_<

Guest chris brown

As you say your welding skills are not good and as Nigel says a stick welder is not the thing to use (it must be MIG or oxy/acetylene) In fact I can’t think of a job on a car that a stick welder is good for so keep it for next time you make a steel garden gate and give your sump to Bill for him to do.