Putting Battery In Boot (Robin Hood 2B)

Guest ickle

i am in the middle off fitting a c20xe into mt 2b

just to add to the list i thought i will move my battery to the boot

just to give a little extra room up front and move some weight to the rear

thanks to sadjagboy for this link http://www.joeybrown...es/battery.html

i have spoke to a local autospark and a ex lucas employ who recomends 170a 25mm sqr cable

so what i want to know is what do you guys think about running cable along the inside of the upper side tube of a 2b ??

i am using proper battery cable i am going to grommet where the cable goes into and comes out the tube and i may put the cable inside a split conduct type stuff.

i am also going to move my cut-off switch upto the dash infront of the gear stick

any issues that anyone thinks i could come across

please let me know

regards stuart

There are probably loads of rivet tails protruding into the tube to snag on & would recommend a metal bush for in & out exit holes due to weight of cable;biggest concern is size of holes in chassis member.

I used 25mm double insulated mains single core cable (ex sparkie)inside PVC rainwater tube (from the Sierra sunroof)& this is clipped inside the tunnel separate from all other cables/pipes.

Guest chris brown

I think Bob has the better idea not running it inside the tube but I would be thinking about using 35mm or even 40mm over the length to keep the volts drop down when cranking

Hi,

I think you should consider protecting the battery cable (near to the battery) with some sort of fuse because if it shorts to ground somehow (in the event of an accident for example) the short circuit current could be huge and cause a bit of a mess to say the least! If you are interested I have a module available that provides a fuse and an electronic cut-off combined. The cut-off can be controlled via a manual switch or an automatic one (such as an inertia switch), or you could wire switches in parallel to have both manual and auto control.

Here's some pics of it:

module7.jpg

module1.jpg

module2.jpg

The module has a Tyco Battery Disconnection Switch and two Littelfuse Mega Fuses. There are two holes in the base plate to allow surface mounting and the module has a removable cover.

It will disconnect the vehicle battery from vehicle loads when a single pulse is detected on the control line.

The electronic switch is Tyco part V23130-B00010-A100. Technical details can be viewed by clicking the link below:

V23130-B00010-A100 datasheet

The fuses are Littelfuse 298 series Mega Fuses. There is one 500A Fuse and one 150A Fuse. The unit has these fuse values fitted but you may choose to fit your own with different values. Technical details of the fuses can be viewed by clicking the link below:

298 Series Littelfuse Mega datasheet

and here's a typical circuit diagram:

bdmcctdiag2.jpg

If you're interested and/or you have any questions, let me know.

Trev