New Mot Regulations

Guest chrisnel

Guest chrisnel

As a newbie to the rhocar site and owner of an NG kit car rather than a Robin Hood I am still hoping that you guys will be able to offer some advice. And apologies in advance for the length of this posting!

I am assuming that folk are aware of the new regulations covering the administration and recording of MOT tests. The DVLA/VOSA are now recording all information in a database that enables them to tell, for any given car registration, whether the car has a valid road tax licence, valid insurance and MOT. All details are being cross-referenced, and quite rightly so, in order to cut down on fraud and tax/insurance dodgers etc.

When I bought my NG TA a couple of years ago it had been off the road for some time (it was part way through a rebuild having been first built in the 1980's I believe) the first task was to get it finished, MOT'd and taxed. The registration certificate (V5) showed the car to be an MG and included the chassis and engine numbers for the original donor vehicle. I had no problem getting a tax disk when putting the car back on the road. The MOT certificate at the time had the car down as an NG and the vehicle ID number on the MOT certificate showed the engine number - this is the only id number visible anywhere on the car. There is no plate or anything with details of the original donor vehicle.

So despite the V5 showing the car to be an MG and the MOT certificate showing the car to be an NG, to date this has casued no problems getting the vehicle licenced. I fear this may be about to change.

Earlier this week I had need to get the car MOT'd again. This time the system is all computerised and begins by logging in all the vehicle details including make, model registration number, chassis number and engine number. The details from the previous MOT certificate were used. The new MOT computer system then looks for matches on these to the details held at DVLA. IN my case this clearly did not match with the records at the DVLA but did not prevent (at the time) the car being passed and a new MOT certificate being printed.

Just as an aside - another aspect of the new MOT regulations is the fact that an MOT should last 40 minutes. Once the car is logged into the system and is on the ramp the computer will not allow the vehicle tester to sign out of the system and print a certificate until that 40 minutes is up.

So the car successfully got through its MOT and I have the certificate (a computer generated A4 document) to prove it. But then this morning I receive a letter from the DVLA "regretting" that they cannot update their records with the new MOT details until I supply accurate details of the car make, model, chassis number, engine number etc. It appears that the certificate is no longer legal proof of an MOT instead it is the entry on the DVLA/VOSA computer systems that are important - and in my case this has not yet been completed. The letter went on to advise that "...until any possible problems are resolved you may have difficulty in relicensing the vehicle."

As it happens I got a new "free" 12 month tax disc only last week - the donor vehicle being a 1968 MGB.

My question? Has any other kit car owner experienced this yet? Have I now got to "come clean" as it were with the DVLA and get all details amended? I don't consider myself to have a problem - I have a car that I am the rightful owner of, I have a valid road fund licence, valid insurance and the car has passed its MOT. But in advising the details are not "strictly" correct on the V5 am I opening myself up to all kind of problems?

The current V5 document states the VIN/chassis number which I assume related to the donor car but I have no proof of this. The actual engine number matches with that on the V5 but I could, and probably will, change the engine in the near future.

Look forward to you responses.

Chris

Guest docter fox

hello and welcome :)

when i first joined the site I didnt even have a kitcar so your closer than i was :rolleyes: theres quite a few different cars and anyones welcome :)

if i were you i would be looking to register the car as a NG TA instead of the MG, however this "may" mean another SVA but im not sure, there was an article on totalkitcar.com about a guy who had to do something similar with his cobra replica, I'll have a quick look but I'm about to go out but a search could find it (top right of screen)

I believe DVLA are currently replacing all V5 documents with the new V5C in a rolling program and this is happening at the same time as the new computerised MOT system is being rolled out, eventualy creating a new massive combined central database. It may be that you have been caught up in this by your MOT station being one of the pilot stations trialing the system. The alternative is that the system has picked up that your car is not correctly registered.

You are going to have to contact DVLA to get the car correctly registered as a NG and to change the vin/chassis number to one they will allocate or you make up. I dont think you can use the original MG vin. This is probably best done at your local DVLA with you attending with all the evidence you can muster to prove it has been on the road as an NG before the introduction of SVA. If you can't there was some guy advertising help with these type of registration problems and someone on this forum has used him sucessfully.

Good luck

Nigel

Guest chris brown

There was a post on here some time ago about a chap who is ex DVLA and will sort out such problems (at a price which I seem to remember was not a lot) I have just done a search but cant find it but no doubt someone will come up with his name and contact number.

Guest chrisnel

Many thanks for all your advice. I think I have come to conclusion that I am going to have to approach the local DVLA office and attempt to get the car officially re-registered as an NG. I just hope they don't insist that it goes through an SVA test as there is no way this car was designed to meet those requirements.

My understanding from the previous owner is that the car was orignally built in the 1980's. Would that pre-date the SVA? Does anyone know when the current SVA tests were introduced?

Guest chris brown

You are well outside the SVA it was about 1999 that it was introduced.

It still might be worth speaking to Paul Jepson as he is an expert on the subject whereas the local DVLA office may be good at taxing cars but when it comes to something out of the norm they haven’t got a clue and worse than that you are likely to be given duff gen.

Guest pmeads

SPEAK TO PAUL. I would suggest before you do anything.

Below is the article I wrote after he helped me. Sounds like you have exactly the same problem.

I would like to sing the praises of Mr Paul Jepson and reccommend his services to all. No we are not related and no I am not on commission.

I bought a series 2 Hood last year all taxed and tested and ready to go. After the cheshire cat look had subsided a bit I started to look at all the associated paperwook the came with the car. This was when I noticed the car was registered as a Ford, Saloon PLG first registered on 06.08.1998, on a B plate, Manf date unknown. I had asked the seller if it was SVA`d and he said it was built before that came in so all it needed was an MOT.

Anyway after joining the club I soon realised that all was not well so I contacted Paul. He asked me to send him a copy of the Reg doc and he would see what he could do. The deal was if he obtained the correct paperwork from DVLA I would owe him £50 if he could not help there would be no charge. Seemed fair to me. After a couple of weeks he phoned to say DVLA would be issuing a correct Robin Hood Reg doc, apparently there were details on a micro something somewhere and he found it. Best £50 I ever spent.

O joy O bliss

Paul

• 3 weeks later...
Guest chrisnel

OK, an update. I have now put the chassis number from the donor MGB on the car and confirmed to the DVLA the cars reg number and chassis number as requested. This now tallys with the record they have and so they are now seemingly happy. The car is now officially MOT'd - the MOT certificate is no longer proof evidently - under the newly computerised system the car is only legally considered to have a valid MOT when it is flagged as such on the DVLA computer. There is a website now www.motinfo.gov.uk that you can go on to check this.

So that has bought me some grace. I can now continue my search to track down the original owner/builder and try and get some proof that the car was on the road prior to the introduction of the SVA test. Once I have this I should be able to get the car registered officially as an NG without having to submit to a retrospective SVA....or at least, that's the theory.

Many thanks again for all your help.

Chris

Guest chris brown
is this legal? it certainly doesn't sound right to me
Yes Grim that was the way it used to be done and the donor reg number was used the only thing that changed was the make.