A Few (Newbie) Questions

Guest willemharvey

Guest willemharvey

I've just bought a part-built RH 2B (wishbones) and I need to know a few things before I think about the possibility of IVA.

1. It has steel rear arches. Will these need replacing with GRP? I must admit they look a bit narrow for the wheels currently fitted.

2. Is there anything fundamentally wrong with the 2B design that need fixing before I even start any of the retrimming, as there are lots of sharp edges everywhere!

Have I bitten off more than I can chew?

I'll add pictures later.

Thanks

Willem

2B will go through, as long as you do all the mods.

The ones I know, that might or might not apply to your car, and probably not the only ones required.

inner lower seat belt mounts

steering column and pedal strengthening (depends what you have fitted)

Dash radius

seat security

radius edges (different standard for inside and outside of car)

rear fog only on with headlights, not side lights

fog light 90deg to road

correct lens markings

repeater position

seat spec

etc etc

I would have a look at the IVA manual, which is downloadable from the VOSA web site, or hopefully someone will be along on hear who has taken one through in the last 6 months.

Think GBS did one last year if I recall their blog correctly.

Guest willemharvey

I've just started wading through the IVA manual. The dash is a real concern. It might be quicker to remove the current one (and Sierra dials) and start from scratch.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Willemharvey

Guest willemharvey

I'm between Northampton and Market Harborough (5 mins from A14 J1)

I have unlimited tea/coffee/cake/pies..........

Thanks

Willem

Willem,

Looks like we are in the same boat. My son and I just bought a virtually unstarted 2B kit from e-bay. I built my first 2B in 2001 and have put a couple of cars through the SVA but this new project will be our first attempt at the IVA. I am pretty sure that cars with the stainless steel and fibre glass combo rear arches have passed IVA but you have to make sure the whole wheel/tyre is inside the arch.

Seat mountings and inner seat belt anchors definitely need to be "solid" so we are thinking about adding some additional structure to the chassis that runs from one side to the other under the floor and up from the centre to the top tunnel tube. My son is moving back from university soon and will be living at home again so we thought it would good to have another project but I am not allowed to start until he is home in August. I am itching to get in the garage and get started.

Richard

Hi Willem

I've been building a 2B Plus for the last 6 years, or maybe a few more, anyway I have been keeping a log on my web site.

http://www.johnskitcar.com

I have covered things like the seat belt mounts and the other points you mention.

It may be of help, if not nothing lost

Good luck

John

Guest JammyJim

Hi Willem, and welcome I didn't realise there were still so many unbuilt 2B's out there after taking 10years to complete I thought I must be one of the last.

I IVA'd mine last month the stainless/fiberglass wheel arches will pass but I had to extend 30mm to cover the 205/50x15 tyres. Also best to replace metal dash I used ply with lots of padding, and the bit of tin that supports steering column need replacing.

I only had a 4 point fail first attempt but from what I understand it depends where you take it for IVA.

There is lots of info on here, and someone has probably came across the same problem.

JJ

Guest willemharvey

Thanks Jim

I'm torn between fitting new arches or extending the old ones. How did you do it?

Also considering a complete rebuild, but that may be a bit drastic. There are lots of things I'll definitely change at some point, so maybe the sensible thing would he to do them now. Any thoughts?

Guest JammyJim

Hi Willem.

I extended my arches with uPVC trim that I heated and moulded to shape, pop rivereted to wing edge filled and painted, time consuming but a lot cheaper then new wings.

You will find there's lots to spend your hard earned on without trying very hard.

Only advise I can give is if it don't look right or substantial enough check it out on here first. when you are finished and IVA'd you will realise the things you wish had been done differently, and can work on.

Not sure who said it but "a kit car is never finished" this is what I now understand.

JJ

I put my 2B plus through IVA just over 2 years ago and have loads of build pictures. Please feel free to ask about any area of the build. My car passed at the first attempt and only a slight mod on the day at the advice of the testor. The rules are quite easy to follow once you have ploughed through the manual several hundred times!

• Like 1