Alternators

Snapperpaul

What would be a fairly easy replacement for the large sierra alternator, i have searched the threads but only came up with the Bedford Rascal as an alternative. I have also heard that the Dihatsu Charade is the one that Burtons sell as a light weight replacement, for 150 quid. What have you fitted?

Paul

Dont have an answer for you but I managed to fit the Sierra 1 in. I had to make up my own bracket. I've just bought the 4 in to 1 manifold to replace my sierra manifold. it looks like ill have to move the alternator now!!!

Macca

Guest Battery Bill

Macca

I've just bought the 4 in to 1 manifold to replace my sierra manifold. it looks like ill have to move the alternator now!!!

Yes we had lots of trouble with this :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Good luck

Oh And have a shufty on our website it shows you there :D :D

Guest Petemate

Mine is sliding pillar, 4-1 exh. I ground the alt bracket right back to allow the alt to sit as near to the block as poss, even grinding down the head of one of the bracket mtg bolts. Result - clears the exh and stg col well, and takes a drive belt 873mm length (just fits on by rolling over first w/pump & alt pulleys then over the crank pulley, turning engine.)

HTH

Pete

The Bedford Rascal alternator is smaller than the Lucas one fitted to the sierra etc, although it's not one of those 'torpedo' shaped ones that you see. According to the guy who reconditions alternators around here, it won't fry as easy as the Lucas one does.

I have obtained a Rascal one since my last alternator problem, and it's a similar looking thing, just smaller, it'll also fit straight on to the mountings of the Lucas one.

The one on the left is the Rascal alternator, the one on the right is a Vauxhall alternator (similar in size to the Lucas one)

post-8-1138005570.jpg

Guest Phil Slater

I used one from a Bedford Rascal.

I initially bolted the Rascal mount to a piece of 8 or 10 mm plate (can't remember off hand I know it was thick, :blink: ) which I had cut and drilled so as to be able to use the original sierra alt. mounting holes on the engine block. After some adjustment to get the pulleys lined up I eventuall welded the mount to the plate.

Works a treat :)

Paul

I have just fitted a Nippon Denso - off a honda V6 onto the locost crossflow .

No real; problem apart from working out the wiring.

It had a large green plug in the back with 4 wires.

basically

Ignition light

Ignition switch - (switched +)(coil terminal)

Battery ( common to alternator output)

cut off the last as it was for the ECU.

works just dandy - and so much smaller and lighter.

Graham

Try www.racemettle.co.uk. I stumbled across them while browsing. They do four varieties of small alternator (3 @ 45amp 1 @ 55amp) as well as an alternator built into a generator for the authentic classic look. 105 mm diameter by 140mm long, price £185 inc VAT.

I've just made a new bracket for the original alternator from a 2l glsi. It's huge with a double pulley and now sits over the steering column. Question: do I still need to use two fan belts as the loads will be far less?

beford rascal is a suzuki eg swift eg swift gti, mk1 or mk2 ( i used to be in to these in a big way) the gti alt are even better they rev to 8500rpm, you should track down a second hand one ok, ive one , but im keeping it for the RH, PS suzuki MK1 swift gti, is the fastest 1300 ( non turbocharged ) production ever made, and easy to mod

Question: do I still need to use two fan belts as the loads will be far less?

If you have removed the other ancilleries that were on the belts like the power steering pump and aircon pump then you can fit one belt. If all your pulleys are double ones I would fit two belts so if one goes you still have the other.

It has double pullies on the crank shaft and the alternator, all the other bits are off so it will only be driving the alternator.

Good point about using both - I'll be belt and belt rather than belt and braces. Like the Irishman using two condoms - to be sure to be sure. :p

Colin

• 2 weeks later...
Guest shane1664

Hope its not too late to help, Ive just started building my kit and was given a Metro alternator, havnt got it in yet but it looks like it should fit ok, and its a damn sight smaller than the sierra one (which i also have) :)

Shane

Guest chris brown
If all your pulleys are double ones I would fit two belts so if one goes you still have the other.
This is even more important if you have the four branch and have to lower the alt down so as the belt(s) have to go round the bottom hose as the last thing you want to be doing is changing a belt at the side of the road