Broken Tap Removers

Jez Morton

Hi all, in particular the engineers amongst you. Has anyone had any experience using broken tap extractors, I'm looking at using a Walton tap removal tool to try and shift a broken tap. Are they any good?

One thing that isn't clear is the sizes, are they for thread sizes or a diameter.

http://www.waltontools.com/products/extract-machsc-hand.htm

not an engineer myself but when i broke a stud off in the head of my pinto i took it to the local engineers and the first thing they asked was if i had heated it! Said it makes the job a load harder to remove. I assume the metal gets harder and more difficult to drill.

I know a tap is hardened anyway so perhaps it doesn't matter but be careful if you try heating it, might be worth checking it won't make the problem worse.

For the size .... number 8 on their webpage says

"Threads per inch need not be specified, as Tap Extractors will fit both NC and NF taps."

so i assume '6mm' etc must be tap size.

A bit more detail, the tap broke in one of the rear hub bolt holes. One the end of the tap is flush with one end of the hole and the broken end flush with the other. The tap that is left in the hole is in two parts each of which has a little play, so individually they aren't stuck but are hanging up on each other. Hopefully the tap remover will move both parts together so they dont fight each other. I'm guessing the tap broke in the hole then trying to back it out I snapped the end off.

Thanks for all the replies.

Its good news the tap extractor did the job, had to work it back a forward to keep the bits of tap aligned but after a few turns in the right direction it whizzed out. Quite impressive as the tap in the hole was actually in 4 pieces, I wouldn't have fancied putting a lot of load on the tool as the legs can twist but it got it done.

A happy Jez

• Like 2