Brake Fluid Float Sensor Wiring

Evening

Just trying to wire up my brake fluid sensor and having a few problems (pretty sure it's me)

So I believe it is a standard sierra reservoir with a 3 pin connection. I have no connector so wiring direct to the pins. So far no matter how I wire it I seem to be getting power to the middle and left pin (i.e. Power to middle gives to left and vice versa). The right pin seems redundant. I would expect that one of these pins should only get power when the level is low, does this suggest a faulty sensor or schoolboy wiring?

Any thoughts/diagram would be great!

Thanks

Simon

When I tested mine one pin is earth, one is connected to earth when float is up i.e. Fluid full so bit connected this and the other connect to earth when float drops e.g. Fluid empty which I turn provides the earth for my warning light.

Sierra connections.

Outer 2 connected together. One goes to light in dash the other is a test switch normally wired to hand brake so as to test every time hand brake is on.

The center is earth. float drops and all three connected together, light goes on.

The fluid level warning lamp is an earthing circuit when fluid id low and the float drops. The hand brake lamp is an alternative earthing switch on the same circuit, intended to be a manual means of testing the fluid level circuit.

Two of the pins on the float are connected internally in the switch. Circuit is as below. Ignition live to dash warning lamp, out the other side of dash light to middle float pin. The electrically separate pin to earth. The other joined pin back into the loom and off to the handbrake switch, through it and to ground. Thus the dash lamp can be earthed two ways. Low float and its through that to earth. Handbrake on and it's through that to earth.

Nigel

post-21-0-23054400-1492160579_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Nigel, just tried that and the light is constantly on? Faulty switch or possible miss wire? Have the ignition live through the light to middle pin as suggested and then earth to the outer pin

Thanks

Simon

The earth is to the non common pin. Two pins are joined. Dash light to one of the joined pins and off to the handbrake switch from the other one. The light will be on if the ignition is on = power and there is an earth route. Handbrake on is one earth route and the only other should be through the float if it is making contact, ie you are dangling it in the air or if it's fitted to the reservoir the reservoir is low/empty.

Nigel