Decision Made Duratec V6

Guest ianjenn

Guest ianjenn

Any one know if I need to put a small bypass tube on the thermostat to ensure some water passes through the radiator like you do on a zetec?

So i worked this one out. the jag thermostat housing is separate to the engine and already allows circulation where as the zetec housing is directly on the side of the engine.

fueling is still to be decided

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ianjenn

Ive made a bit more progress over the last few weeks.

The engine is now in the car in its final position. It is bolted to the gearbox and this also fastened in.

I have started wiring up the emerald. All the injectors, coils and VVT are connected (this has the basic VVT which is an on off switch via oil pressure, after 2003 Jag used a more complex VVT which was capable of variable VVT using two oil chambers) and I just have the temp sensor to add.

I have plumbed in all of the cooling pipes and this turned out to be very straight forward.

The main headache remaining is the exhausts. there are two options

1. full custom manifolds and exhaust cost £1600

2. Bodge £cheap

So bodge it is. The passenger side is easy, the original manifold fits and a straight bit of pipe with 90 degree bend gets me in position.

The drivers side is complicated by there being less room and interference from the steering column.

At the moment I am favouring using the x-type manifold which fits ok and may just do the job. The triangular bar of the steering column will need to be extended. As soon as the silencer arrives I wil start brazing up the tubes then things wont be too long off. I will add some pics of exhaust over next few weeks

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ianjenn

Ive hit a snag. The solid flywheel I think from a 2.5 V6 has a different gear pattern to the jag s-type starter although the bell housing has the correct bolt pattern to take the jag starter housing. There doesn't appear to be a chamfer on the back of the ring gear so I am wondering if I need a pre engaged starter. Does anyone know what gears come with what starters and how I can work out whati need.?

I have put a few pictures in the google link on the first post

cheers

Guest ianjenn

I realise that but the company supplying the flywheel and bellhousing (I bought them as a pair) said the standard jag starter would fit. The ford is a frontwheel drive set up but the jag starter motor and the zetec starter motor are the same apart from the gear. Therefore there might be a gear that I can swap into the jag starter or maybe Jag used different gear combinations. failing that I will have to swap the ring gear on the flywheel

• 1 month later...
Guest ianjenn

I have put some pictures of my exhausts in https://picasaweb.go...44628/DuratecV6 It looks great with one down each side. I have used the original jag manifold on the passenger side and a mondeo manifold on the drivers side. Then bought some stainless sections off ebay which I have brazed to meet the silencers. At some point in the future I might get some custom manifolds. I haven't had to make any structural changes to the 2b doing it this way

I still dont have a definitive solution to the flywheel issue, but as soon as I get this sorted I will be ready to start the final fitting and start up. (If anyone has any ideas they would be welcome)

My options so far

1. Get a new ring gear made up with the correct teeth but the inside diameter to fit my flywheel

a. cheapest quote from UK company = £850

b. Found a company in India which will make one for £150

c. Found company in china that will make one for £300

2. Fit the dual mass flywheel from a jag s-type manual

b. I have ordered one from a scrap yard and need to see what my clutch options will be.

3. Remove the ring gear from the dual mass flywheel in 2 and see what flywheel that I can get it to fit to.

So from one of the above I think I can get things moving. Definitely getting exciting!!

to save weight I could always ditch the starter motor and get a bump start every time, would help with the wifes fitness drive

Edited by ianjenn

You have had a good look at changing the ring gear. An alternative is to change the starter gear. OK sucking eggs and I'm sure you will have been looking at the problem from that angle as well. Is the flywheel a custom made one or has it come from a specific car? If from a car then that cars starter obviously has the correct gear on it. Identify that and then perhaps contact a starter motor company and see if they can put the correct gear on the starter you have.

Another thought. To work together the starter has to have the right teeth to mesh and the solenoid lever system and stops give the correct throw into engagement. What is the problem. Is it wrong teeth? Or wrong throw. Spacing the starter can sometimes sort the throw problem.

Another though. 'clairtoo' on locostbuilders is running this engine. What starter/flywheel has she used?

Nigel

Guest ianjenn

It's wrong teeth as the ring gear on the mondeo flywheel is for a permanently engaged starter bolted on the side were as the starter in the s type is the inertia type that engages from the back. I was getting nowhere with looking into starter gears so moved to the ring gear. I have taken off the existing ring gear now so am committed to that route. As soon as the dual mass effort arrives I will decide which option to take.

Guest ianjenn

Interesting the starter motor is coming from the clutch side of the flywheel in the mazda/probe set up and in mine it comes in from the engine side. Powerwise you can't beat the duratec v6 though, 60-70 more horses than the older mazda unit. I doubt there is that much in it, in terms of weight when all the additional components are stripped off like aircon etc It is all aluminium after all. I have not had to made any structurally changes to fit the duratec v6 so whats the point in having more airspace under the hood, when you can fill with engine!! :db:

Guest snotfart

It's wrong teeth as the ring gear on the mondeo flywheel is for a permanently engaged starter bolted on the side were as the starter in the s type is the inertia type that engages from the back. I was getting nowhere with looking into starter gears so moved to the ring gear. I have taken off the existing ring gear now so am committed to that route. As soon as the dual mass effort arrives I will decide which option to take.

you have confused me no end with this,when you say permanently engaged do you mean pre-engaged?are you sure about inertia type as i thought they became extinct years ago?you have removed the ring gear due to lack of chamfer on the correct side,did you destroy it during removal or will it refit with the chamfer on the correct side?in my skinter and bodgier past i have turned ring gears round as a cheap fix for dodgy starting.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ianjenn

The mondeo flywheel doesn't have a chamfer on any side and is completely the wrong teeth. It is made for a starter motor to be bolted on the side.

The dual mass flywheel from the 3.0l manual s-type arrived and has the right teeth but when removed the inside diameter was about 4mm too big to fit onto the mondeo solid flywheel. So I have picked up another mondeo flywheel and machined the ring gear down to form a sleeve. I have then heat shrunk the dual mass ring gear onto the mondeo flywheel :wacko:. Happy days. It is now parcelled up and ready to be lightened and balance checked. (pictures in the original link) So after a 3month delay progess will start again soon i hope

India have also been in touch to say they are making me a new ring gear to fit the original mondeo flywheel. So I am probably going to end up with two!!!!!

• 1 month later...
Guest ianjenn

wahooo! it's a runner. Finally received the lightened flywheel back and it turns over lovely. I had a few minor spark plug and coil issues. But it started for the first time last night. Here is the first start video. It is running a bit rich on the emerald but I don't really know what I am doing on that front so will be off for a rolling road just as soon as I finish off the last few jobs. I can't wait for the first drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5xouvuxsw8&context=C4c493a7ADvjVQa1PpcFM82_4k28G8cmCesPsAIwMOAq8y21we4XY=

• 1 month later...
Guest ianjenn

Following on from the first start video, Here is my final installment, it is a video of my rolling road session today. Got drenched in both directions but luckily the car never missed a beat. There is a couple of power runs followed by the graph.

I am quite happy with the result top BHP was 199 at the wheels in 3rd doing 100mph! the rev limiter kicked in at 6800rpm which stopped it breaking the 200BHP mark. So thats about 240BHP at the flywheel which is spot on for the Jag spec for this engine. i probably gained abit through ditching the cat and then lost abit by using the mondeo exhaust manifold and inlet.

All in all a good day.

http://youtu.be/sj_PmL_Kywk

Ian. Congratulations and a massive thumbs up :good: on a really fab install. I take my hat off to you :hi: The engine looks amazing in the car and it sounds absolutely brilliant. You must be a very happy chappy.