Radiator Ducting Options

Guest Dean Morledge

Guest Dean Morledge

Hi all,

I am having a problem with overheating in my 2B and am aware that it is most likely due to the rad being at a slight angle to fit in the nose cone and the air flowing over/around the radiator instead of through it.

So I am looking for options as to the best way to duct the airflow into the radiator instead of around it.

Is it just a bit of thin ally around the radiator up to the edges of the nose cone or is there another alternative?

Also going to look at the front grill options as it currently has quite a tight mesh and I know opening this up a bit can also help.

Cheers

Dean

Guest Ian & Carole

Dean don't forget that no matter how much air you force into the nose cone and through the rad it has to have an escape route as large.

Side vents , raising the rear of the bonnet will help.

No point ramming air in if it has no where to go.

Guest Dean Morledge

Cheers Ian, good idea... I already have the vents on the top of the bonnet but will consider side vents as well as an option to try and help.

Need to get it sorted so I can build some confidence in the car that it wont fail/overheat on me!

Guest 2b cruising

Hi, I recently bought a ready made 2b and was having the same problems. After checking all the obviouse things, blocked rad, fan working ect. I then repositioned a lot of things that were blocking the air path to the radiator. I moved the twin horns, the citroen barrel type air cleaner and moved the oil cooler further to the front of the nose cone. After a hard run road test I found all was fine.

My next move was going to be more air vents, then a radiator with more cores. As previously pointed out an escape route is also of prime importance.

Hope this gives you some pointers to help without any expensive costs.

Regards and good luck. Ken.

Guest mower man

A biggish move but one of the last mods I did to my S7 was an alloy rad [i hear the screams of how bl--dy much ] toyosport 2000 on ebay supplied me a pattern rs2000 alloy rad for around £125 ,very well made and it dropped in to the orig mounting brackets very nicely around ten degs drop super!! mowerman

Guest Gargoil

I would second Micks thoughts on a Toyosport rad. Sometimes on Ebay you will get one come up for sale at auction and get it at price lower than buy it now.

I used a thin plywood to duct the air over the radiator. Originally intended as just something easy to cut and manipulate before I copied it on to something more permanent, it's managed to stay where it is with no sign of problems.

In fact I have some spare if you want it.

Edited by Gargoil

'Is it just a bit of thin ally around the radiator up to the edges of the nose cone or is there another alternative?'

Yes it is as simple as that although any stiff material can be used. In the olden days lots of manufacturers used stiff black cardboard. You could use ally, some stiff plastic like estate agents use for their for sale signs, plywood, etc.

The air has to get to the rad. (Test drive with no grill mesh to see the difference. Very surprising!!!)

As much as possible needs to go through the rad.

Having gone through it needs to get out of the engine compartment.

There is some evidence that having the rad at a slight angle to the airflow actually increases it efficiency.

Nigel

I always think of the many hoods with tuned 2.0L pintos that run quite happily on an old cortina two row rad. Presumably they produce the same heat but have taken care to get all the factors right. Unless you are producing much more heat you must be getting something wrong. Fitting some mammoth rad isn't necessarily addressing the real problem although it may reduce the running temperature.

Edited by Longboarder

The best material I have found to fill the edges of the radiator to the nosecone is 3mm thick rubber sheet. You can cut it with scissors and its not critical on size as it flexes where it meets up to the nose cone (also handy for taking the nosecone on and off as it just bends out of the way).

Edited by steamer

If your running a Pinto you can fit an 82degrer thermostat and wedge the rear of the bonnet 10mm

I also fitted a 32 row twin core and don't have problems with 130bhp engine

16 row Oil cooler with thermostat is fitted for the big power engine

• 2 years later...
Guest Jtomo

The best material I have found to fill the edges of the radiator to the nosecone is 3mm thick rubber sheet. You can cut it with scissors and its not critical on size as it flexes where it meets up to the nose cone (also handy for taking the nosecone on and off as it just bends out of the way).

How do you attach it?

My. This is an old thread reactivated. I don't know how you would attach rubber sheet. Ally sheet was simple. I used cardboard to make up patterns of what was needed. Cut them out of ally and with a bit extra for a flange to be bent for fixing with a few pop rivets. It's not under much strain so few needed.

Nigel

Edited by Longboarder