Supercharger On A Silvertop Zetec

richardm6994

So here we go again! Another supercharger project.....I'm beginning to get the hang of these now lol.

This time it's a silvertop zetec, Eaton mp62 supercharger going into DanE's stylus.

The first job is to fit a new pulley to the supercharger. The Eaton mp62 comes with an electromagnetic clutch operated drive pulley, however this is very large in diameter (approx 90mm) and when coupled with the zetec crank pulley (126mm dia) makes for a very poor pulley ratio.

60mm dia pulleys are easy to get hold of on eBay for less than a tenner, however Dan found a 55mm pulley in his 'box of bits' so we've used that......running the pulley diameters through my calculator, I estimate around 7-8psi of boost.

The supercharger drive shaft has a very fine spline, so the hub from the clutch pulley has to be removed, machined and fitted into the smaller pulley.

With these kind of pulley speeds, everything has to be machined in a 4-jaw chuck for accuracy.

C517D16A-D705-44E5-81A0-4B3075D80CE4_zps

B72DCA12-DD02-4F63-B5C8-47B508E1BA00_zps

Because the supercharger is best fitted to the induction side of the engine, to make room, the alternator has to be relocated to the other side of the engine.

This means a smaller alternator, and another pulley modification because the new alternator came with a vee belt pulley......so we used the previously mentioned 60mm pulley from eBay and machine an adaptor hub.....

D2174A14-5846-4C88-BAFE-2876014C1615_zps

AFA569B0-3613-4DC2-95F9-F0170A4B98B5_zps

8B9EB266-E51C-4C41-9FA8-CA936F582DCB_zps

EDFE3C41-69CA-4DEF-83AD-6C035FEC83CB_zps

And here is the new alternator bracket complete with 2 new idler pulleys to get sufficient belt coverage around the water pump.

The plate which the alternator is bolted to is only tack-welded into position because it may need altering when we do a test fit in the engine bay of the stylus.

AF7E236D-1ED7-416B-A5A9-809082193F2D_zps

64A2125E-EB4C-4771-A92A-56FA889ECB7A_zps

76E64CB8-B983-41AA-8A8E-17A27EEB4085_zps

Edited by steamer
  • Like 1

Guest old_timbo

Are you using a bearing to support the new supercharger pulley like the original clutch / pulley arrangement? I bored out the centre of a BMW mini supercharger pulley and fitted bearings. The end result looked like this, I didn't try to reduce the diameter of the clutch plate with the splined drive in case I messed it up:

post-1398-0-39233800-1464127468_thumb.jpg

The large bearing support is only needed to give the pulley something to run on when its disengage......with the direct drive pulley it's not needed (the drive shaft has the same front bearing as the m45 charger which uses direct drive pulley and no support bearing so in theory there is no difference between the 2 arrangements)

Having said that though, you've got my grey-matter cogs turning now..........

On the original MP62 charger, the clutch pulley was large, very heavy and needed to free-wheel when disengaged.....hence the need for the support bearing.

With the small pulley, it is a hell of a lot lighter and doesn't need to free-wheel. I didn't use a support bearing on the last M62 charger project as the customer told me it wasn't needed because he'd read on the forums that it wasn't needed......however.....

......given the drive shaft is longer on the M62 charger due to the original clutch magnet, there is 2 or 3 times as much unsupported shaft between the front casing bearing and the pulley than there is on the M45's.......so although it seemed to work fine on the last project (and others seem to do it this way as well) I can see potential room for improvement so I'm going to look into reintroducing a support bearing, albeit designed differently due to still work with the new smaller pulley......what this space (and thanks for the comment :) )

Guest old_timbo

Yes, I was worried about the strength of the drive shaft with the long over hang, also the extra load it would put on the main rotor bearings. On most Eatons they have a separate shaft running in bearings in the drive nose that takes all the belt load from the drive and this has drive pegs between it and a rotor gear. Hence little load on the rotor bearing. In the US they have M62s without clutches. See photo of the two types.

post-1398-0-19949100-1464217401_thumb.jpg

Looks like we started a trend Rich... Another cracking job. Mine was still going strong after almost 2 years.

One thought though. How's Dan gonna handle an increase in power? He couldn't handle what he had lol....

Cracking job as always...

• Like 3

Guest whiz

One thought though. How's Dan gonna handle an increase in power? He couldn't handle what he had lol....

too scared to more like always came up with another excuse :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Support bearing inside the pulley complete and I'm really happy with the result (credit to timbo for mentioning it!!).

I managed to source a pair a deep-groove bearings rated to 20000rpm and very high load. They have a 30mm id and 42mm od. They are only 7mm wide so I've doubled up to give even coverage across the pulley....

Pulley being machines out to 42mm;

530D2CB7-CE0D-4393-9D00-5DCAFC2DF54D_zps

Bearings test fitted into the 30mm support spigot which form part of the supercharger nose casting...

47EB1AC7-0E6E-4901-B42C-5367BE580DB6_zps

Bearings test fitted into the pulley;

93B2E164-54CB-447A-86BD-737161FCF0D0_zps

And the finished result which I'm extremely happy with...

2F204B1B-9F30-4C12-8D49-5F35DDC4F8DD_zps

All I need to do now is to machine a spacer to go between the outside face of the bearing and the face of the charger eliminate any chance of the bearing wondering out of the pulley....