Oil Filler Cap Pinto

Guest preeday

Is the outlet for a breather pipe? If you have an oil catch can you could connect it to that. If it is a breather then it will need to be connected to something or it will blow oily vapour around. Surprised one of the pinto boys haven't replied by now, God knows there are enough of them. If you haven't got a catch can and it works OK then why change.

There are 2 types of pinto oil cap, both are designed to allow the engine to breath

The first is this type, the engine vents from the underside of the mushroom

s-l640.jpg

The second is this, that has a hose barb on it to allow you to route where the vapour goes, personally i'd put it to a catch can

FP631.jpg

Guest preeday

Reason I need a new one is cause I’ve lost my old one (don’t ask how)! A friend has an alloy one like this I can have -http://www.burtonpower.com/alloy-oil-filler-cap-breather-outlet-fp641.html

My old one was just a mushroom one, if I put the alloy one on what should I do with the outlet? Could I run a length of pipe & put a filter on the end?

you could leave it open, put a filter on it, put some pipe on it and route it to the floor, put a pipe on it and route it somewhere else with or without a filter, route it to a catch can. up to you really. A healthy pinto shouldnt breath much through there.

On my xe one is for the pipe in and the top one has a breather on it. I don't have any oil vapour escaping now since I put a better quality breather on. Mine also has a drain fitting at the bottom but there has never been anything in it. If I was you I'd get the one with the outlet and put a pipe on and hang it down out of the way near the road. Most of what should come out of a healthy engine should be water vapour anyway. Cheapest, simplest option.

Assuming you have the standard carb arrangement yes, there is a little valve in the bit that plugs into the block so that the fumes only get sucked out when there is a vacuum in the manifold. You don't need a fancy catch tank, I use a bike drinks bottle with the cage, like many others.

Ive looked at catch cans, most have 2 outlets (or inlets), 1 goes to the filler cap but where does the other go?

The catch tank you want if you are going down that route is one that is baffled with 2 or more inlets and a seperate filter to let the tank breath