Door Frame Material

nelmo

I thought about half doors but I plan to commute to work which involves sitting in traffic and I can see half doors not being good enough when unmoving in rain.

Too right, the only time we get wet in Florin ( she just has a surrey & fabric half-doors) is at a stand-still in traffic -- coming to a three-way set of lights just as they change amber dampens the spirits.

If your doors don't need to match weathergear make them as long as possible. It gives better side vision and keeps the draught off the back of your neck.

That's what I thought - those raked sides on the doors look like they would be right in my eye-line when trying to look left and right.

Does anyone have any suggestion of where to order plastic strips (about 20mm x 3mm) from? I'm planning on making my frame from plastic (cheaper and lighter than metal) but everywhere I've seen so far all have minimum order amounts. I need about 12m of plastic and best I can find so far is a company where I can order 25m (their minimum) for £65 (delivered).

I used 2mm aluminium for my doors and then cut out 2 areas to leave a 40mm wide frame all around and a vertical bar in the centre to provide stiffness. The advantage of this is the frame is very sturdy but the material is compliant enough to tweak it in to shape to follow the contours of the body.

I used 2mm aluminium for my doors and then cut out 2 areas to leave a 40mm wide frame all around and a vertical bar in the centre to provide stiffness. The advantage of this is the frame is very sturdy but the material is compliant enough to tweak it in to shape to follow the contours of the body.

Hmm, that's a good idea - not sure I'd want it in ally though because the same compliancy that allows tweaks would also allow my clumsy movements to bend it as well, no?

But a couple of large plastic sheets might be cheaper than strips...and means I don't have to make joints...I'll look into that...thanks... ;)

steel frame really doesn't weigh much and easy to make if you have a welder. The sewing is the tricky bit.

Another alternative would be to combine the steel frame with an ally skin (obviously not the window bit ;) ) would be relatively easy to bend 0.7mm ally skin around the frame instead of sewing. You could even glue vinyl on the outside for the traditional look.

As said there is an advantage to the doors being longer, but the flip side of them being 'standard' is that you can look around the back edge of the door which gives a clear view rather than the slightly distorted view through the plastic window.