Doors

nelmo

I'm making some doors and I had a great plan to use magnets to help keep the bottom edge of the door in place against the side panel - until I realised that magnets don't work on aluminium!

Has anyone seen/used an alternative method for doing this?

Don't know about others but my doors/sidescreens don't have anything holding the bottom edge. Never had a problem and i've been through a fair few heavy downpours and standing water without water coming up from the bottom (or any edge for that matter).

I made my doors though and i shaped the steel frame to match the body. When i put the vinyl on i added an extra lip of vinyl that tucks in behind the windscreen pillar so it is also sealed there.

I never have a problem with it pulling outward as the airflow always pushes the doors into the car. I don't have a hood on so i don't know if that would affect anything.

hth

Thanks all... I must admit, I've only trial-fitted some thin vinyl on the frame and up to 50mph, they didn't seem to lift up at the bottom, so maybe I don't need anything. The problem is that my frame is made of flexible plastic rather than anything more rigid, so it's not shaped. Maybe I should change to metal?

Richard, don't the lift-the-dot and tenax fittings require you to pull them off from the outside? Can you just push the door and they'll unclip?

Not got my mag yet - all excited now!

Actually, just a strap might do the trick, as you suggest. I commuted in this morning with my prototype door on and the front edge did start lifting over 50mph, so I do need something.

i made my doors from polycarb they go right back to roll bar i havent got pictures anymore thanks to photobucket but i have got one of the door fitted the bolt you can see on the door is holding one of the two levers fitted to each door my first prototype did bend inwards over 40mph so there is a length of steel wrapped in the leatherette and riveted to the polycarb

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0s8ugb5avn7sow6/DSC_0214_2.JPG?dl=0

Edited by tractor
  • Like 2