Car Cost

Guest l_b_muk

Hi there, im new to the site and new to the idea of building my own little baby..... I Really like the looks of the Project 2B and the lightweight version but the major factor is cost.... As i am trying to do a lot of research into my project before i build im not to sure what is a reasonable price to spend.. and how long it will take...

Any one have any tips for a newby... and how much they cost

cheers

:) wecome to the site

as for cost,you can spend as little or as much as you like,i know of one 2b that cost 12000 to build

but i know of another that cost about 4000 to build

but most spend about 5-6k i recon

Hi I have a 2B/4 with SS panels which I've been working on for about a year. I'm looking at spending about £3 to 3.5K to get past SVA. I think I'll spend lots more after SVA :-)

The kit was a little over 2 grand and the doner 200. I think I could have done it for less it depends on what bits you want to keep from the doner or source second hand. At the same time I think it would be very easy to spend an awful lot more.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you use components from the doner or second hand things then you will need to spend time reconditioning them or at the very least cleaing them a little bit. This can add a suprising amount of time to the build.

Getting you garage ready can also add a few bob if your not already into car repair/building.

Phil

Thanks all for the great input.. Relistically is a Robin hood 2B a good starter project. i have played around with cars for a little while but not in much depth and i like the idea of building the complete car from scratch....

When buying my donor car any key points i should be looking for at all..

Cheers again

Guest Andy Rathbone

yep good engine, if your going for a pinto, listen for cam noise, its usually a sign its in need of recon, check the grrrbox, feels reasonable, it will be a bit sloppy its probably been round the world., dont worry too much about the body work on your donor your going throw most of it away. check for that lovely blue smoke when starting and revving, usually valve stem oil seals, if its not its your rings(could be knackerd lump) if you dont like the look of the donor walk away, dont buy it especially if its not correct on the V5

You including EVERYTHING there? So far I've spent £4700 on the Lightweight,

including garage rent, floor paint, every last tool, paintbrush, nut and bolt etc.

Just need seats, a fuel tank, a propshaft, mirrors, brake and fuel lines, and possibly a wiper system and demister. It's gotta come in at under £6k, surely? :blink: Although I have been a bit fortunate to be able to use the works

sandblaster, engine hoist, valve spring compressor and other hefty tooling!

When people say they can do it for £4k or under, surely they have a garage fully equipped already, or maybe ignoring those "minor items" which add up to several

hundred? :rolleyes:

lloyd,

Sounds like our experiance in cars was just about the same. The two reasons I went for a 2B were looks and cost. Of all the seven clones I think the SS cars look great and then add into that the cost of the kit I thought it was the one for me. Have a look around this sites and peoples build web sites. I bought a RH fully aware that it wasn't a lego model that fits together just so from perfect instructions. You will have to make things fit (hammer, angle grinder etc) that really you shouldn't but thats all part of the fun if you are expecting it.

One of the handiest things during the build is this site and the rest of the internet. If you get stuck there is always who is more than willing to help.

The 2B is the only thing I've built so I can't compare it with anything else but I'm having fun and only a little heartache but then that all adds to the experiance.

Peter - I know what you mean about those little items but there are always ways to economise. After all Ron Champion built his car for £250 :p I will bring my car in under 3.5K for SVA but I've used most things from the doner and I haven't yet got a hood. As for my garage I did have a garage with some spanners and a socket set but I've had to make some purchases along the way. Ebay, machine mart and screwfix are often used. On the floor of the garage I used old carpet. As for an engine hoist my father in law has a fork lift and I made a tool wall out of MDF and a work bench from a spare panel left over from the kitchen. However saving money usually means investing more of your time but I look at all my time being free.

Anyway once the SVA is over I'm sure I will spend more money, fancy alloys, new dials and seats etc - just don't tell the wife :D

Phil

My Budget started at £10k, it quickly went to £11k and is now upto £13k...

Thats for a high spec MNR Vortx RT+ with Cossie Turbo power...

Had I decided on the RT with a Bike motor and more donor parts, I probably would have done it for a lot less... closer £6k

:D

Myself and a guy round the corner have seperately picked up part built kits with nearly everthing included. a very good way to start. I am up to £2,600, need wheels and tyres, would like good seats but they can wait, and i will spend a lot on the engine. About £4,500 to SVA.

Now this is the conundrum as you can buy a finished Hood with SVA for around this price and drive it now. ;)

surely though...its not just the driving and owning of the hood...but the fact that you have more or less man handled every nut and bolt on the car...

probably the reason people prefer to buy kits...it'd be my reason anyway.

Guest FIRSTBUILD

and dont forget the special bonus when you decide to sell it !! = 25p per hour for every hour you work on it plus about 60% of your investment cash returned - thats if you have done it right !!

building one isnt a decision to take lightly - I am in my third year and lovin it but if you want a quick buzz that might wain away spend £2000 on e-bay and have some fun now rather than in 2008 !!!