Help! New Rh Owner!

Guest Paul Goff

Guest Paul Goff

Hey all, in a state of great excitement and mild panic here having just won an Ebay auction for an S7 which I'll be going to (all being well) pick up this weekend.

As a total newcomer to the world of kit cars I'm a bit clueless as to where to start looking for insurance, tax requirements etc. Car has MOT to mid-2016 so hopefully that's covered!

Any advice (or directions to a helpful page on here) would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Welcome aboard.

First think to check if you've not done so already is that it's correctly registered - ideally before you've handed any money over. V5 should say Robin Hood, not Triumph or Ford. If you've not seen the V5, you should be able to check by doing a DVLA vehicle enquiry online using the reg number.

If it's got a current MOT then you're probably OK but it pays to be careful and avoid incorrectly registered cars, there's a few out there. You wouldn't be the first to get caught out and certainly not the last.

Insurance wise there's plenty of choice, including A Plan who support the forum, Adrian Flux and many others. As with any insurance, the choice is wide and the service is variable. Tax should be £265? a year - pay it monthly, you'll probably have the car off the road in the winter anyway.

Get to a local meet if you can, lots of helpful advice from members near you. Leics area members are a very active and a good bunch of guys.

• Like 2

Before you part with any cash make sure it says robin hood (not sierra or sierra sport or anything similar) on the log book. Also make sure that it has a chassis number that tallies with the log book. There has been somebody on this forum recently who purchased a car only to find out that the numbers didn't match up and DVLA wants them to put it through testing again. Oh and make sure the engine number is the same as the logbook too.

Insurance is usually surprisingly cheap, depending on age and claims history of course . I insure mine with frank pickles for about 120 pounds a year on a limited mileage of 3000. Others use a plan or Adrian flux, ring round and see what they can offer.

Mine is a series 7 too but has a redtop engine as opposed to the majority which seem to be pinto engined but the insurers don't seem to bother to much about how they are powered.

Having thrust all that information at you, welcome to the forum. When you get your car post some pictures, somebody may recognise it. Any other questions just ask on here, most of mine seem to answered in about ten minutes!

Kevin

Guest Paul Goff

Thanks guys - very much appreciated!

Just a quick one - I'm looking at the DVLA website and it doesn't have Robin Hood in the drop down for vehicle make (which you need to input in addition to the reg) - any ideas?

Have asked the seller for a photo of the V5, then on to A-Plan & Adrian FLux,

Thanks again!

Guest janis

Yes..i bought s7 with lost tax book..after find out chassies nr was worn and unreadable..then had to go to test centre for check up and find out some other details dont mach up so now they void my reg and issue new vin nr..that means i have to pass iva..its not inpossible but good few months pus 450£ for iva 90£ for retest and 50 for new reg plus all the work has to be done on the car..so just make sure all is right and u save a lot of problems..i hope everything will be good and u will enjoy your car..good luck

Guest Paul Goff

Thanks for all the advice chaps - spoke to the seller this evening and confirms chassis & engine match the V5 - guess I'll hopefully be able to confirm that on Saturday when I pick it up!

Andi - picking up from just south of Salisbury, going to trailer it back so I have time to sort out insurance etc, more than happy to get some experienced eyes on it once I get it back to Leicester - will let you know!

Guest Paul Goff

Sorry, I meant to ask if there are any glaringly obvious things I should keep an eye out for - its got the 2.0 Ford DOHC I4 EFI engine (so probably the 8-valve)?

Photos look pretty ok (usual stone chips etc but cosmetically good). Exhaust manifold looks pretty rusty in the photos but difficult to tell if there is anything catastrophic from some ebay pics!

Everything is fixable, the registration is important so check that first

Some S7's crack around the engine bay were the forward folded sides meet the bulkheads front and back

Suspension top wishbone pivots need checking for cracks

Under the boot floor there is a folded plate have a look.

Under the rear arches if it has coil overs there is a heavy angle iron the shocks bolt to check inside the arch near that and inside the boot

It's pretty much like buying a secondhand car after that

• Like 1

First, welcome! If you haven't seen the car before bidding, don't forget if it's not as described you can walk away from the purchase. As previously said, make sure it says Robin Hood on the v5 and all details match.

One piece of advice from my experience, don't take the mot as to the condition of the car. Mine came with a full mot but when I got it home I found that the car shouldn't have been on the road having no bushes in the shock absorber eyes, worn front bushes and leaking rear brake slave cylinders. We still kept the car as we wanted it!!!

Thanks for all the advice chaps - spoke to the seller this evening and confirms chassis & engine match the V5 - guess I'll hopefully be able to confirm that on Saturday when I pick it up!

Andi - picking up from just south of Salisbury, going to trailer it back so I have time to sort out insurance etc, more than happy to get some experienced eyes on it once I get it back to Leicester - will let you know!

We live 10 miles east of Salisbury --- shout if you need any help.

Thanks guys - very much appreciated!

Just a quick one - I'm looking at the DVLA website and it doesn't have Robin Hood in the drop down for vehicle make (which you need to input in addition to the reg) - any ideas?

Have asked the seller for a photo of the V5, then on to A-Plan & Adrian FLux,

Thanks again!

Hi,

Hopefully we can help you out with a decent insurance quotation.

Regards,

Dan.

Edited by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX