Lightweight

Guest Tim Norman

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bearing in mind that sva retests are reletively cheap (i think), and you'll probably fail your first test anyway (so it'll be effectively free), i think it is madness to do anything other than to submit another car in for SVA, to see if the basic complaint is valid.

Given the hassle and costs of alterations, i think this ought to be the first step, to confirm what work, if any, needs doing. Sure all centres will be on the look out for leightweights, but that doesn't mean they'll agree with the other tester.

On the other side of the coin, i'd be keen to make modifications to the RHSC design as i built it anyway.

I have just come across a post on another forum stating that VOSA have issued a note saying that for SVA all vehicles with an aluminium chassis and aluminium suspension mounts/seat belt achorages will require a destructive pull test to prove their strength. Currently this is a requirement for all cars for type approval but not SVA.

I have searched for a copy of this note but I cannot find it. I have asked the author of the post where he got it from.

If this is true it doesn't bode well for the lightweight. Either a pull test would have to be done, financed by the lightweight owners I would guess. Or all the seat belt mounts/suspension points would have to be redone in steel.

I know its not my problem but i have been pondering these problems and discusing them with a close friend, this man pointed at the front suspension mountings a long time ago and was not happy about just bolting through ally, to reinforce these points with steel could have electrolisis problems in the future.

The rear could be solved with a steel subframe with runners going forward to take in the seat belt mountings and seat runners, would only need to be of the same square tube that the Locost boys use.

Not ideal but i am just throwing ideas into the pot here

hi

it would be relativly easy to reinforce with steel !

however the eloctolytc actions over a period of years would negate the advantages!

i have reinforced with alloy,but to appease the inspectors have added 8.8 steel bolts,

i dont have all the answers by far ,

if they want a tug test then the lightweight is finnished,non of us is going to put foreward their baby for destruction.

how many other one offs have had a tug test?

let us mod the car and submit for test ,

please stop the speculation !

if you have definative info then post it .

regards graham

Hi Elwe,

On which forum did you see this post , as this could be a real kick in the teeth if it come to pass............

Regards Marcus

The forum was Pistonheads. It was in relation to the import of 100% aluminium bodies replicas from the US.

I did think twice before posting on here. In the end I decided that lightweight owners might be in a better position to chase this up with VOSA so I posted while I checked up with the original poster on pistonheads.

I have heard back from the pistonheads poster. He was looking to buy a part built lightweight and wanted to be clear on VOSAs position first. On the 19th of September they wrote to him to say that they have decided that *ALL* aluminium bodied cars undergoing SVA will need destructive tests to prove the design is capable of taking the loads at the seat belt mounts. Only one test is required per design. He is going to get back to me with the name of the VOSA official who issued this letter.

hi tim

thanks for posting the info it would be of great help if you can find out yhe name of the vosa official that released this info.

would all members post with relevent info that can be substansiated.

i am not going to let my lightweight be torn appart there must be another way ? do we have a volunteer ????

as i am aware the tug test is 3 tons per seat belt mount ?i dont think any production car would survive that?

the vosa are it appeares are trying to cover their asses by asking for this test .

dont forget 2 lightweights have passed sva and -NOT- highly moddified as was reported by mr vosa himself.

if tug test is required then are they going to recind all passes on alloy cars ?

or even the 2 that have passed until the test has been carried out.

i think NOT

if a tug test is required then it should be carried out on the rhsc demonstrator ,as we have been informed by vosa has been HIGHLY MODIFIED and should be up to the job , controversial defiinately.

tim if you can get a name i will take him on in a debate to assertain the validityof the sittuation,

however i will require all relevent info to do thisw

regards graham

• 1 year later...
Guest matthebat

The name is at the bottom of my original post

[/quote

:huh: if mine was ready they could tug test mine but in all seriousness who is 3 ton anyways.lol

ill start reinforcing mine as i go with kevlar and titainium like a tank

but in all seriousness who is 3 ton anyways.lol/quote]

Take a 10 stone man, accelerate him to 100 mph then stop, the forces generated are exponential and multiplied by the square of the speed, the effective force on the seat belt and it's mount could well be near to 3 tons