Full Beam Flash

Guest danny_samb

Guest danny_samb

Hi all. Had the dash out my car and now the full beam flash doesn't work, all the lights work. But if I pull the stalk to flash the headlights nothing.

Any ideas

Guest danny_samb

I'm sure it's a Vicky green. I think if you put full beam on with the lights on then the light pattern changes so I'm guessing it's on. Bit the full beam light on dash doesn't illuminate

Mainbeam flash has one unique wire not involved in the normal use/functions of the lights. On later post 87 stalks it's an earth on L column switch terminal 15. On 83 - 87 stalks it's a constant live to 15 on L column switch. If the lights function as normal in every other respect other than flash then its the wire on terminal 15 that has become faulty/lost//cut/disconnected/etc.

Guest danny_samb

Thanks I'll have a look. How will I know if it should be a live or earth to the stalks. I have warning lamps and gauge not an instrument cluster. All the other lamps work apart from the full beam

Sorry but I may have made a wrong assumption. I thought you meant the main beam and I assumed the main beam warning lamp worked OK with the normal lights on and dip/main switch operated but with lights off and just using the flash function you got no flash and no main beam warning light.

If that is correct then it's the terminal left 15 wiring. Part numbers of the left column switch begining 83BG require constant live on 15. If later type beginning 87BG, 89BG or anything other than 83BG it's an earth.

If that's not correct and I have not correctly described the symptoms correct me please.

Guest danny_samb

If I turn the lights on the clock the stalk into main beam the bulb pattern changes so I guess it works but no lamp lit on the dash. If no lights on and I go to flash the main beam nothing. No lamp on the dash lit or the lights don't flash. Should there be a relay as can't here it click when I pull the stalk

So blue main beam warning light never lights and main beam works off the column switch in normal mode but not for daytime flash. Two faults.

Warning light takes its feed from one headlight wire after the relay. All later stalks use relays and most builders would have added relays for their early stalks too. Simple circuit to check. Wire from headlamp wire to warning light to earth.

Flash not working means wire to terminal 15 not working. Check stalk to see if positive or negative switching.

Guest danny_samb

Ok thanks for your help that gives me a few things to try.

I wired the earth warning lamps piggy backed off each other so I suspect the fault might be with the wire from the headlamps.

Most later column switches are earth switching in the sierra. For reasons best known to themselves RH?RHE?GBS? did for a while change that but I don't know from when to when or what they do now.The pic below shows how they were in the sierra, switching in the negative circuit, but with the daytime function deleted. The important bit for the main beam warning light which should be common to whatever system is used is the 'supply' to the light should come off one of the main beam wires after it leaves the relay on its way to the headlamp.

post-21-0-82538200-1524392087_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...