Pinto Alternator

Guest alexpink

Guest alexpink

Having driven around in the dark a couple of times, I've noticed that my alternator squeals a bit when the dip/main beam lights are on- it gets even worse when the electric fan kicks in. Belt is tensioned and fitted properly so I'm pretty sure the alternator must be on the way out. They're only £50 or so on eBay, but I was wondering if anyone else had one knocking about first?

Guest Ian & Carole

Are you sure that the belt is tight enough??

Sounds like a case of belt slip to me, the more drain on the battery the harder the alternator is having to work and the more the belt squeals.

Guest 2B-EVO

Id agree with Ian and its probably that the belt is old and the rubber has hardened causing it to slip - id change the belt before blaming the alternator.

Cheers Andy

Guest 2b cruising

Poor alternators do get noisy under load.

The way you are discribing it though does point to as above.

Belts can squeal even when tight if they or the pulleys are worn.

Well worth trying a new belt before you go alternator.

A quick try is to spray your belt with a little bleach.

This won't stop the squealing for longer than a few days, but it will tell you if it is the belt or not.

The Yankees use it quite a lot when they use one long belt to drive lots of ancillaries on their v8's.

Guest alexpink

Belt is new and is fitted properly. Pulleys are OK. Didn't squeal quite as badly this morning so I'm just going to wait and see what happens if I can't get hold of one, it doesn't do it in normal conditions so it can wait for now.