I Wonder

jaimo

Just sat here watching TV and started thinking I wonder why my hood started to of slowed up a lot both acceleration and top end struggle at few things etc could of done it as it was quite quick and spun in 1st, 2nd and just 3rd

1. Fitted 15" alloys instead of the 13" but should still be good top end

2. Removed fords ruel reg vapour thing and return direct from carb

3. Redlined when spun and then wouldn't tick over and cut out when clutch pressed

4. Just coincidence and something gone wrong

5. Who cares fit the 2.0 litre 205 injection headed engine

Just annoying as ask steamer starts and sounds mint no smoke etc can't wait to find out so going to strip and try and get to bottom of it but anyone else any ideas

Oh I forgot

6. I let stu have ago lol

Edited by jaimo

Guest 2b cruising

Was it strait after you spun that it didn't perform so well?

Did you hit anything when you spun. Kerb, ditch etc.

Does your car still run freely when you coast it.

Is there any transmission noise that wasn't there before?.

Just trying to gather info.

Didn't hit anything kept it on road that's why it redlined as I floored it to pull it round away from kerb.

We checked cam belt and timing and al seemed OK I suppose could of bounced a valve slightly or done something to carb but starts and sounds and even drives good just done on power.

Guest 2b cruising

Something defo gone wrong on set up or fuelling if all you did was,spin and lost lots of power?

Comp test easy to do with accurate guage. It's where I would start.

If comp down on all four, I would go for valve timing.

If down on one, rip head off, easy job on pinto.

If none down, a very good dynamic timing light and re check timing.

If it revs ok (no misfiring?), but has no power, it is usually an ignition timing issue

Did you check the ignition timing?

Input your old & new tyre sizes here....

http://www.willtheyfit.com/

You may have upped the effective diff ratio which will make it feel sluggish, lower the top speed

because 5th is already an overdrive, and slow down your speedo reading making it feel slower...

Have you made any accurate measurement of top speed (use a GPS)

or acceleration.....?

No but on way to pickering show was left by stu 2.0 against my 1.8 both pinto and on a1 on way home at 80 both put foot down and he left me like i hit reverse

Gonna fit the 2.0 but just annoying me that the 1.8 runs nice but lack of power

Guest 2b cruising

Depends what he has done to his 2ltr.

As Bob has said look at wheel size/diff ratio.

Important on the torque availability.

As Enzo used to say. BHP sells cars.

Torque wins races.

Was it immediately after you spun it you lossed power or immediately after changing your wheel size.

Edited by 2b cruising

It's stus its standard 2.0 skimmed head and Weber 32/36 with 4 spd box and had 3.38 diff with 15" wheels

Mine 1.8 Weber 32/36 type 9 5spd box don't know diff prob 3.92

Can't remember when the probs started to be honest I think after spin and redline but could be wrong

When driving drives nice just no power as such feels like a 1.1 lol

Guest mower man

3.38 diff is to high if you are on 205 x50 15 my 2.1 would pull it just but was far better on a 3.6 your 18 will probably have about 90 brake if you are lucky and you will be near its best on a 3.9 so it will appear slow . Power comes by putting the right components together not just throwing what sounds good or you fancy haphazzardly , my 2.1 gave 110 ish when set at its best before head job and cam and rejetting the 38 dgas and also fitting an un worn [new] distrib GAVE IT 144 BHP AND A SHED FULL OF TOQUE around 1k cost and lots of tme and fiddle :acute: mick

Edited by mower man

Guest Gargoil

A real drop in performance or are you just getting used to it now, Jaimo? I have noticed the same, the more I drive it, the slower it seems. Some rolling road figures would help. Is Stus car an Exmo, too. The Exmo seems to be one of the heaviest around which might explain some of the performance difference.

Hi Jaimo - now this is just a thought cos i've had it happen to an A4 1.9TDI of all things - someone had fitted fly by wire accelerator stop wrong way round so i was only getting 75% throttle - electronically. Same symptoms as you - couldn't find anything wrong just lack of power. So im thinking that when you floored it during the spin did your accelerator cable slip on the carb and therefore now you're not getting full throttle with the pedal. I.e when you rev the car by hand at the carburetor everything seems fine - all linkages work etc and full throttle is achieved but have you had someone sit in the car and deck the throttle (engine off) and watch what actually happens? Just a thought like i said.

Cheers Andy