New Tyre Suggestions

Guest david_l_perry

Guest david_l_perry

Just looking at sorting out some new tyres for my toy car. Any body used these people - tyres on the drive .com

http://www.tyresonthedrive.com/?gclid=CLXrl5zD3cgCFWoJwwodDeMCqA

They are coming in very well priced. Previously I have just taken the car to national tyres, generally a fair price once phoned around.

Current tyres are Toyo Proxes, and just looking at getting the same, but any other suggestions welcome. No track days or racing, so just fast road use....

Ta. Dave

Guest alexpink

I just had 4 toyo proxes T1R fitted by a local tyre place, but I ordered the tyres through blackcircles website. £227 fully fitted and balances etc at an appointment of my choice.

Also considered Uniroyal rainsport 3s and yoko S drives as the reviews are slightly better and they are apparently better than the toyos in the rain, which is worth thinking about considering its almost winter.

Happy with my toyos though and they do the job fine- a common complaint is that the sidewalls are not reinforced, but you don't have to worry about the sidewalls flexing as these cars are much lighter than most that have them fitted :)

I bought a set of TR1s for the MX.

Not very impressed......dry grip is OK.....but no better than OK.

Wet grip is very disappointing.

I got them from Blackcircles who show wet grip rating as C which I was happy with.

But other companies & TOYO themselves rate them as E.....which I wouldnt have bought for a car I will use all year round.

I've got uniroyal rainsport 3s on mine. Needed a new set of tyres and was recommended them by my local tyre place. I was told they give great grip both in dry and wet conditions as they are a soft compound but don't last long which is fine by me considering the mileage I do! Price was competitive. Haven't checked them out in the wet yet.

One point, they look weird when viewed as an axle pair as the tread pattern points the same way on both tyres. I even rang the manufacturers to check and was told they are not directional tyres as the tread uses shark skin technology and the tread pattern does not need to be reversed an the opposite tyre. Still looks weird though!

Guest Tim Norman

Been out today trying to scrub the rears off so I can buy some better ones but I really struggled to get them to spin. Quick chirrup then the back squatted and I hurtled at the horizon!

be careful as these are lightweight cars. so normal road tyres can be a little hard to get heat into them.

I like the parada yoko spec 2s on my kit.. but wouldnt last 3 months on the monaro.

I run that on goodyear eagle f1s. which would be too hard on the kit.

terry user federal rsr which he rates. iirc

Hi Dave,

Try these people - http://www.camskill.co.uk/- They charge £2.50 per tyre for delivery - they stock a wide range of manufacturers and i've just checked the price of uniroyal rainsport 3's - in 195/50/15 - £33.80 each. If you know someone who will fit a set of tyres and dispose of your old ones camskill might be a good option. Roughly a full set delivered for £150.

I use the rainsport 3's on my A6 Tdi - can't fault them wet or dry and are wearing surprisingly well - Over 10k on them now and still plenty of tread. As cb750 posted tread pattern is quite radical looking but mine run the two wide strips to the inside with the curved pattern running to the outside - now while it doesn't say they are directional there is an 'outside' marking on them so thats how mine are fitted.

Cheers Andy

Maybe time for more rubber on back Dave... 205's on back ??? Bit dearer but may help put the power down . Used camskil before good company just need local fitter then so add another 10$ per tyre

The Toyo CF1's I had only gripped if I drove extremely hard like a complete idiot to get heat in

Once hot they gripped but you just can't drive on the road like that.

Running Dunlop 195 X 14 DO1J's and have a set of 205 rear 185 front X 13 R888's

Edited by Snapperpaul

Guest 2b cruising

Running Toyo Proxes at the mo as they came with wheels.

No problems with those as yet. Confidence is growing fast with them.

Been brilliant in the dry, no wet experience with them as yet.

The tyres on the wheels I took off have pilot sport 3's.

Drove them for a lot longer than the proxes and grew to have lots of confidence wet or dry.

Bought them off the chap that sells ex racing tyres with one races wear @ £25 each on this forum.

No damage and almost new condition. Bargain.