2b Rear Disks

Guest richieu

Guest richieu

Afternoon, well after completely refurbing a set of drums and removing the wheel to put them on i find i have 6 holes on the hub. Which I am told is the version that takes rear disks (doh)

So my question is….

To fit rear disks, does anyone know what kind of break bias valve I will need ?

I have found a set of new rear callipers on ebay which take vented disks, is this ok? And does anyone have any general advice as to what bits I need as don’t want to get the wrong bits again.

Looking at a set of rear vented callipers, rear vented disks and some sort of bias valve, calliper carrier? Mounting bolts?

Thanks

Rich

Afternoon, well after completely refurbing a set of drums and removing the wheel to put them on i find i have 6 holes on the hub. Which I am told is the version that takes rear disks (doh)

So my question is….

To fit rear disks, does anyone know what kind of break bias valve I will need ?

I have found a set of new rear callipers on ebay which take vented disks, is this ok? And does anyone have any general advice as to what bits I need as don't want to get the wrong bits again.

Looking at a set of rear vented callipers, rear vented disks and some sort of bias valve, calliper carrier? Mounting bolts?

Thanks

Rich

What are you starting from? The hubs are different. I think all the disc systems came with lobro half shafts. The disk hubs have mountings for the calipers.

The brake master cylinder is different, larger servo etc..

It is possible to do a conversion , making up a mounting plate etc.. May be easier just to get yourself the other pair of rear wishbones and hubs from a scrappie.

Graham B

Disks all round. disk based Sierra servo, with disk master fitted, no bias or compensator.

i have never seen rear vented disks, only solid ones.???

Mitch

i think ive seen them for a cosworth or maybe the granada, but i may be wrong. Well over the top for a 2b i would think, you'd need to really reduce the braking to the back or it will lock for sure. hth

Vented rears are Cosworth 4x4 kit.

I'm a little puzzled about "six holes in the hub" where are you actually talking about?

You also say you've taken a wheel off. Off what? a car? - if so what brakes were/are on there at the moment?

Pictures of what you are seeing when you pull the wheel off and these six holes would help a lot.

Discs are way OTT for the rear of a car like a Hood and especially one with so little of the weight over the rear wheels. Does this car still need to be registered? If so then you need to be careful as they have tightened up somewhat on bias valves for braking effort whilst you will definitely need one of some sort to get the balance right.

Iain

Vented rears are Cosworth 4x4 kit.

I'm a little puzzled about "six holes in the hub" where are you actually talking about?

there are two different types of vented rear discs that fir the rear, cosworth 273mm (might need cosworth hubs, not sure) and scorpio estate 253mm which GBS sell.

the 6 holes probably refer to the 4 for the studs and 2 for caliper carrier.

the 6 holes probably refer to the 4 for the studs and 2 for caliper carrier.

I wondered that but drum braked hubs have 6 holes too - 4 for the studs (if they have been removed) and two to stick a socket through to get to the bolts for removing the hubs.

To fit Cossy 4x4 discs you just need the correct calipers (wider for the vented disc) and the correct carriers. The hub and trailing arm are the same as any other disc braked Sierra. The only different ones I'm aware of are the RS500 (maybe all 3-door Cossy) ones which have different geometry to the trailing arms due to the much different ride-height.

Iain

Guest richieu

thanks for the reply guys, i took the wheel off the robin hood, was a rolling chasis when i brought it, (no breaks on it) will take a picture at lunch time and report back

thanks

Rich

I could be wrong (difficult to see from the photos) but they look identical to the calpier I have on solid rear disks (from an XR4 X 4). The pad gap dosen't look any bigger at all. I wonder if the pads are what the difference is?

wow, those look like some long lobes, could be for the 273mm disc? It's definitely not a drum braked rear axle with those driveshafts.

As far as i am aware, either type of caliper will fit, you just need the appropriate disc.

From your link, the first lot were the vented type, 2nd were solid type.

Guest richieu

ok, is there anyway of looking for a serial number on the hub that would tell me what type of disks and callipers i would need, like i say really dont want to get it wrong again

regards

Richard

i don't know about part numbers, you could try a post on the ford sierra forum to confirm whether they are cosworth hubs or not.

Either way, you could buy the vented or solid calipers, fit them without a disc and measure the diameter to buy the correct diameter disk.

253mm solid: standard sierra rear disc

273mm solid: rwd cosworth (early type)

253mm vented: scorpio estate/cougar

273mm vented: 4wd cosworth (later type)

I suspect the 273mm discs might be overkill, if it turns out the hubs are for the 273mm, it might be worth selling them on and finding some ordinary ones, i'm sure they would fetch a premium.