Camshaft Identification

Guest 2BJacko

Guest 2BJacko

Can anyone help please?

I'm trying to find out what sort of camshaft I have in my 2.1 Pinto? There are no Ford markings so its not an OEM ? Or any markings to identify it as a Piper or Kent cam. All 4 of the exhaust rocker ball studs are screwed right in to get the correct valve clearances (had to skim one of the nuts down) which makes me think it might not be a standard profile cam? The inlet ball studs however do have adjustment.

When I bought the engine it had a Vulcan Engine Maxiflow sticker on it when I called them yesterday they couldn't tell me if it was one of their engines or not. Though they did say it would have had either a Piper or Kent camshaft and wouldn't have built an engine with the exhaust ball studs set right into the head.

post-11750-0-91543100-1499179943_thumb.jpg

Guest 2BJacko

All 4 of the exhaust ball studs are right down into the head. I had to skim one of the lock nuts down to get the correct valve clearance, The inlet ball studs all have several threads of adjustment. Not sure why that is ? I haven't measured the followers yet to see in the inlet and exhaust might be different ?

post-11750-0-13244000-1499180825_thumb.jpg

Guest lotusPaul

Piper race spec phase 2 comes up in a web search. Poss and old designation for BP300/320 spec. Look at lift as it maybe 12.5 to 13.5mm. Wasted in a road car.

Guest 2BJacko

. Wasted in a road car.

At around 3000rpm it really comes on song. which was another reason for me thinking it was a performance cam.

My old 1000cc mini had a cam ( 731??) which was as docile as granny's Morris until 3000rpm then it went like the proverbial rocket & revved to 8K --- lovely memories of the late 60's.

Guest 2BJacko

Piper race spec phase 2 comes up in a web search. Poss and old designation for BP300/320 spec. Look at lift as it maybe 12.5 to 13.5mm. Wasted in a road car.

I phoned Piper today and they say looking through their archives they don't recognise any of the numbers I gave them as in the photos in my previous posts. Wondering if I should just bite the bullet and buy a Piper OHC134 for injections engines. The power band quoted is between 2000-6500 rpm at the moment the noticeable increase is around 3000 rpm.

Guest 2BJacko

What induction are you running and what exhaust system?

Pinto EFi with standard injectors. The exhaust is 4 into 1 and silencer as supplied by Robin Hood I assume ?

post-11750-0-63014500-1499283973_thumb.jpg

Guest 2BJacko

Maybe you've got massive valve seat recession and the rocker studs are wound down to compensate.

The thought did cross my mind. Thought why all the exhaust valves and not the inlet valves?

Unless the exhaust followers are a different thickness?

The head gasket has blown between No 1 & No2 attached a photo from a few days ago. See attached photo I wouldn’t say that the valves look excessively recessed.

post-11750-0-00196500-1499285500_thumb.jpg

Guest lotusPaul

Going back to the cam, theres little point in going excesive on a standard injection setup, infact the standard cam is a good option as is.

Unless you can add more fuel, adding more air is a waste of time. It could present itself as a lean running engine, and this will burn out your exhaust valves. Perhaps this is what has occurred already if you have recessed exhaust valves, admittedly i cant see it on my device.

When you build an engine all the components need to be in balance, thats port sizes,valve sizes,compression ratios, exhaust system and cam specs. Then it needs assembling with care and in spec of the chossen components.

Only this way will you get the best out of your hard earned cash.

Guest 2BJacko

I can’t use the cam shaft out of my original 2.0 EFi engine as it snapped in two ! And the reason / excuse I swapped the engine in the 1st place for a 2.1. Though I’d prefer to use a better suited EFi cam shaft with a wider power band than I have at the moment.

When I bought this engine about 3 years ago the guy I bought it off had removed the cylinder head to see if it was a 2.1 which it is with 93mm bores. He’d acquired the engine in a scrap Sierra which also had twin Dellorto carburettors fitted. He used the engine in a P100 pickup and fitted a standard Weber and sold the Dellortos . He said the pickup absolutely flew and figured he could sell the engine for more money if it was a 2.1. I paid him £400 which I thought was good price for a 2.1.

I assume that whoever remanufactured the engine? Ported & polished the head fitted larger inlet valves, performance camshaft along with the Dellortos?

The head is an injection one with the apple shaped inlet ports. The valves and seats looked fine at the time I bought it. All I did to the engine was lap all the valves and replace all the valve stem seals and swap the shortened sump from my original 2.0 engine.

That was about 3000 miles ago. The valve clearances are still okay. With the carbon build up in that time in the combustion chambers 2,3,4 and wouldn’t say it’s been running lean ? ( see photo in previous post) There is still no noticeable wear in the bores.

I think the reason that the head gasket has gone is my fault as I used a 2.0 head gasket and it looks like it’s burnt through the overhang into No2 bore? I shouldn’t have been so tight and used a £40.00 Ajusa head gasket with a 94.5mm bore size thought at 1.0 mm thick is thinner than a standard which I think is about 1.4mm so didn’t want to be raising the compression ratio unnecessarily not knowing if the block has been decked or the head skimmed ?

Guest lotusPaul

I think for ease of use a standard replacement efi cam and a good decoke is needed. Or consider swaping induction to the down draft webber which can support a bigger cam and can provide the fuel and air for more if required later. You will see a noticable difference in torque delivery