A Multitude Of Problems

Andi

The kit has been playing up like crazy on the way back. Air locks and overheating, smoking exhausts, firing on 3 cylinders (now not firing at all, no spark etc. But ill get to that later)

The breathing out of the breather pipe which is vented to air, seems very excessive.

I did a compression test and results are as follows

No1 190

No2 145 rising to 160 with oil added

No3 175 rising to 180 with oil added

No4 170 rising to 190 with oil added

Does this sound like rings and or head gasket gone???

Cheers

Andisearch.gif

Guest sadjagboy

I think it might be valve seat recession, as with oil added I'd have expected no 2 compression to go up a bit more, if it was the rings. Are you using an un modified leaded head? I'm sure someone will be a long in a minute who has more knowledge on these things.

Regards

Angus

Andi, all your troubles seem to stem from when you had the head off to redo the valves, seals, bit of porting etc. The valves were pretty pitted and as above, if your head isn't unleaded you could well have seat regression. Have look for oil in the water etc for signs of blown head gasket, after all you had problems with that fancy felpro gasket.

Was everything ok before you did the head work?

As the others have said really.

Oil down the plug hole, increasing compression is usually a sign of bore or ring wear. But 145PSI to 160 is not too serious.

I would look at the head/ valve clearances first of all.

I just had similar issues with valve seat regression on a leaded head (amongst many other issues!).

Hopefully not too serious. Check your clearances first!

HTH :pardon:

I did the head work due to what I thought was an oil seal. Smoking at start up etc so changed the seals.

When I first change the head gasket it seemed ok.

Strange thing was at stoneleigh it stopped firing at the dizzy so I replaced the cap and rotor arm and it worked fine, wasnt even any smoke at start up for the 1st 10 times of starting.

It did keep overheating and shoving loads of water out of the radiator for about 15 miles. I was going to call breakdown out but filled it up with water at a garage one last time and the temperature

went right down and stayed down until I got to Andy`s house in Leicester. Switched it off for 10 minutes, then the smoke and misfire started followed by overheating. Finally conked out outside my

front gates.... No spark. But There is a lot of oil around the lumenition box from bottom of the dipstick tube and from the breather pipe.

But ill check the clearances and see if i can check the stem seals and give the lumenition a clean up.

The dizzy is tight so ill check cam belt timing. Also number 2 plug has some oil on it so maybe the head will need to come off again. This time i think ill get it skimmed too.

Thanks for all your replies

Andi

Guest mower man

Andi a while ago ,must be 3/4 years ago Tommo from N Wales /cheshire area came over to stay with me ,on hope you get it the way here his 2l pinto developed a strange mis fire /lack of power etc we went thro all the normal stuff and it had us both tree'd,it sounded absolutly awful any way to cut to a shorter tale he left the car with me and recovered it the follwing day ,acouple of days later he got intouch with the answer , head gasket blown between 2 cyls 1 and 2 iirc and only the tiniest weep into a water jkt I don.t know if it,s relevant in your case but some ting to look for?,hope you get it sorted soon --mower man [mick]

tommo if you are still out there get in touch mate ,or if any one knows him get him to get to me