Company Car Replacement

Guest Lowlife

Guest Lowlife

So the Company Car is due for replacement in a couple of months!!

I have a budget of around £24K

Criteria as follows:-

Low emissions (as close to 100 mark as poss) don't want to pay any more tax than I need to

Professional and comfortable as high mileage (I cover the South of the UK, Stoke / Notts down)

Reasonable performance (1.6 Diesels need not apply)

Nothing French (personal preference)

My first thought was Audi A4 saloon, 112 emissions and only a tad over budget.

Suggestions on a postcard please

BMW 320d for me, but like whiz said they are *bleep*e in the snow i had one but just chopped it in for a merc c class which i love but might be a bit high on the co2 emissions, snow test soon to be confirmed very shortly

Guest Kennedy48

Wish I got my works car for free. But it's not bad, I'm getting a top range Nissan Juke, insurance, tax,everything payed for and a new one every 9ish months for £174 a month.

(Money saving now as house will be build in June)

Luke

Guest Lowlife

Wish I got my works car for free. But it's not bad, I'm getting a top range Nissan Juke, insurance, tax,everything payed for and a new one every 9ish months for £174 a month.

(Money saving now as house will be build in June)

Luke

Free???? Tell that to HMRC, I pay roughly twice what you are in tax for the supposed privilidge of the car, fact is I have to have it for my job as I work from home and travel extensively

Guest Kennedy48

Free???? Tell that to HMRC, I pay roughly twice what you are in tax for the supposed privilidge of the car, fact is I have to have it for my job as I work from home and travel extensively

I have to pay the monthly payments and my tax code real low. So I get stung by the company car by the government.

Guest Kennedy48

You get a company car and you have to pay £174 a month for it? Then its not a company car or it is a company car and you are making capital payments to it and as such these can be declared to HMRC and your tax code adjusted. But all of that should be in your P11D from the company.

Mine is a lease car from the company for £174 amonth. My other lease vehical from the same company that my other half uses for £140 amonth my tax code is 444 (it's something like that starts with 4) this is something I am trying to work out as it is classing me has having a company car. But other friends tax codes are the same that also have the lease vehical. As I have just ordered my lease car I have no idea what will happen to my tax code code once the first payment ha come out.

Guest Lowlife

Mine is a lease car from the company for £174 amonth. My other lease vehical from the same company that my other half uses for £140 amonth my tax code is 444 (it's something like that starts with 4) this is something I am trying to work out as it is classing me has having a company car. But other friends tax codes are the same that also have the lease vehical. As I have just ordered my lease car I have no idea what will happen to my tax code code once the first payment ha come out.

You need to clarify with HMRC, is it a company car or not is my first question.

Who fuels it?

Do you recieve any benefit as a result of the car?

Is the £174 a personal contribution to get a better car than would otherwise be on offer?

Is your current tax code a K code or a T, L or otherwise

Guest Lowlife

Do you get a P11D from the company every year? If you do this lists the benefit in kind for the car you have. And this is what the tax code is worked out on.

You latest P2 Coding notice should give you a breakdown of what your tax code is made up of? Did you perhaps used to have a company car and not let the HMRC know you no longer have one?

It sounds like you dont have a company car. You are just leasing a car. Which you could lease from anywhere. A Company Car is a car that is paid for by the company for you to use privately.

Theres various ways the system operates.

Fully expensed - The company pays for everything including personal mileage (most painful for tax)

Business Only - The company still gives you a fuel card but only for business use (less painful but still not great)

Car Only - Car is supplied but YOU fuel it and run and claim business mileage back at £0.15 per mile (I am on this and am much better off)

Car Allowance - By far the best if you can, company gives you an allowance to provide your own car which you fully expense yourself and claim mileage back at £0.45 first 10,000 miles and £0.25 thereafter (best tax bracket by far)