Surrey Top

Guest DAVE1954

Guest DAVE1954

Hi completed my car now, I want to make a slurry top ( i think that's what it's called , never actually seen one.). don't want to go to cost of full weather gear, I'm confident I can do a good job on this, anyway I'd like to know if I can fit the press fasteners to metal e.g. Windscreen & roll bar , if so do I self tap , rivet, do I need special fasteners . Cheers. Dave

Guest peter2b2002

i would put caravan awning rail on top of windscreen and then a couple of turn buckels on rear panel thats the way most people do it DSC_0214_zpsavuiawaj.jpg

thats what I did on my old 2b you can probably get some material from a tack shop that repairs horse rugs that's what I use to make them from

peter-2b

Guest DAVE1954

Hi thanks for reply, what I want to do Is span the material from roll bar to windscreen , use the press poppers on each side, it can be unpopped off screen and rolled up an neatly tied across the roll bar without undoing on roll bar, it's only for unexpected shower I'll only use it on fine days, so back to my question can I fix the one side of the poppers to metal. Cheers

You can put a row of poppers along the front surface of the screen. A row of nine hold my hood on and stay popped as the force pulls sideways on them rather than trying to lift them. Popping onto the rollover bar is a bad idea as the material will stretch/flap and you would have no way of retensioning. That's why most use adjustable straps/ties down to the back panel.

Nigel

i haven't actually finished it yet (on a long list of jobs to do) but for my hood on the 2b i don't want any poppers or anything on the screen as i like the clean look. So i am going to try this ....

I have a piece of aluminium channel which is shaped to fit over the exisiting frame.

I welded threaded lugs to the inside of my window supports so a 6mm bolt can be fitted from the outside.

So i am going to glue and wrap the hood material over the channel. This will then push down over the windscreen and each end will have a metal strap (possibly with an adjuster to put tension on it) with a hole which lines up with the prethreaded hole in the window support. Once bolted on it should hopefully hold the front of the hood in place. I might also put 2 extra straps down to hook under the window frame as a safety feature.

With it removed you won't see any evidence of the hood system except for the 2 holes in the screen support which will be flush on the outside.

If that makes sense.

The rear will just use lift the dot fasteners as that's what i have my boot cover fastened with already.

Don't know if it will work yet but that is my plan. I think it would be hard for the channel to come off the frame as it would have to lift off all the way along and around the corners and being bolted either end it is unlikely to stretch. If the channel lifts in the centre and leaks it may be that i have to add a strengthening strip along the top of the channel.

i would put caravan awning rail on top of windscreen and then a couple of turn buckels on rear panel thats the way most people do it DSC_0214_zpsavuiawaj.jpg

That does look great tractor - can I ask where you got it from or did you do it yourself?

Do you find it keeps heavy rain out while on the move? Just wondering about the big opening at the rear...

Guest Neil.Pritchard

Hi Dave , had my half hood made for me by Intatrim from Telford at a cost of £120.00 with storage bag. Mine has popprs at the front and 4 straps at the rear for

tension . Have no problems at speed hood holds tight.

Cheers Neil.

Hi Dave , had my half hood made for me by Intatrim from Telford at a cost of £120.00 with storage bag. Mine has popprs at the front and 4 straps at the rear for

tension . Have no problems at speed hood holds tight.

Cheers Neil.

I've just ordered my seats from them - didn't know they did tops. I'll call them, thanks...