Best Waterproofer

kevin the chicken

I made my tonneau out of intrinsically waterproof material.

I have 2 convertibles and double duck works well.

Why not use the present cover as a pattern and sew up a new cover that does not need proofing.

The big trick is to use a leather needle in your (wife’s) sewing machine.

No chance at the moment of getting another cover made, too many ballet and ballroom outfits waiting at the sewing machine so I will just have a go at waterproofing this one. I did say I would buy my wife an industrial sewing machine so there should be no excuse for not getting some stuff done for me. Would like a surrey top really, not a full top as it would only be for if I get caught out. Or to keep the sun off. Haha.

As LotusPaul said Nikwax is a known brand in the outdoorsy world. I use it on my skiing stuff and it seems to work quite well. A quick search found this https://www.webtogs.com/en-UK/Nikwax-Tent-and-Gear-SolarProof-500ml-Reproofing/30564wmp.htm?colour=Clear&sku=231007&productid=65376&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping%20API&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0IjGo_e02QIVjpztCh3N5A2iEAQYBCABEgIdBvD_BwEbut no idea how good it would be on roof material.

Buy an old singer type sewing machine they will go through pretty much anything! I used mine to make the boot cover and the sidescreens for my car. Sidescreen material was proper roof material and is quite thick but not a problem for the singer.

Was that a dugout canoe bob? I am surprised at how cheap you can pick up an industrial sewing machine, some of them look seriously heavy duty items. I'll let Claire research the best buy and then you can all measure your cars up and I'll get her to run a few off!!

• Like 1